Speech to text software?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Speech to text software?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Preferably free.
I am contemplating starting a podcast, short episodes about two minutes long.
I would like to include some sort of transcript through the web site.

Trouble is I don't want to write the script and then read from it; I would rather record the talk, much as I might have been recorded in a class, and be free to say what I want how I want, and then extract the text.

The text need not be exact, but I would like to have enough so that I could massage it (using my new keyboard!) and thus have the text notes be properly representative of whatever points I made while recording.

I reason that the speech to text need not be perfect; just good enough to catch, say, eighty-percent of the speech so that I have a good skeleton of text.
Thanks for any advice.
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Speech to text software?

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Google Docs "voice typing" (Ctrl-Shift-S) does a good job.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jolas wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:56
Google Docs "voice typing" (Ctrl-Shift-S) does a good job.
Thanks jolas, but "This feature is only available in Chrome browsers."
I was not looking to speak-and-get-text, but to convert an audio file, pre-recorded by me, into a rough text form.
That is, I am not dictating a memo as much as recording a talk and then wanting to get a written, readable transcript of it.
Thanks, Chris

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

You can also use other browser (Firefox, Edge, etc) to login to your google account to access google docs.

What you need is a speech to text kinda thing,

Well, GOOGLE KEEP (a note taking app available if you have a google account) may do the speech to text thing you need.
Notes (transcribed) created by google keep can be drag and drop to google docs. The speech to text is only available via Google Keep app (android or ios) not the desktop version. It'll take dictation and transcribe it on the fly.

If the transciption cannot keep up and will halt, just press the app microphone icon again and continue your dictation.

This happens only using the google keep app of your mobile device.

As I said earlier the notes can be easily imported into google docs or if you prefer to edit in MS Word, just File download the Google Docs as a Word document.

Here is a video tip that you may like to see and find other stuff you can use google keep for.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

My original post was poorly-defined. I am thinking of recording in Audacity, editing with Audacity, and producing a final audio file (MP3 or FLAC) to upload to the podcast host.
Once the audio file is "locked" and final, then I want to submit the audio file for speech-to-text.
Further the speech-to-text transcription need not be perfect; I want it to be good enough for me to retain the key points and make them clear. Since this is a technical podcast, I will probably lodge the text transcription with images/snapshots on my web site.

As well, I am used to sitting at a desk with the equivalent of a desktop computer; I confess that I have not fully embraced smartphone technology, and enjoy a vast range of my macro tools within MSWord2003.

I explored five of the packages from Hans's list, and I will probably settle on "4. Transcribe" from the "Best free speech to text apps" section. Transcribe isn't Free. It has a 7-day trial, after which $20 per year and $6 per hour, presumably $US. Still and all it made a pretty good effort at a 1-minute MP3 file that I recorded quickly.
The main advantage of having a prefabricated audio file transcribed is that, unlike dictation, I don't have to pause, go back, issue voice commands and so on.

Speech To Text
(1) Google Gboard APK to android phone 27.56MB: "App not installed!"
(2) Just Press Record only iPhone, iPad and Apple watch
(3) Speechnotes: type in text and a female voice reads it back to me. I want to record my voice and see it in rough text form.
(4) Transcribe: "Make sure you’re signed in to Microsoft 365, using the new Microsoft Edge or Chrome."
https://transcribe.wreally.com/transcriptions Not free, but a 7-day trial for free.
"Let's start with the control a shortcut when you're inside a Microsoft Word, document, or an Excel worksheet or file explorer or anything. That's got a collection of things. Hold down. The control key, which is usually at the lower left corner of your keyboard. And while you're holding down the Ctrl key, just tap the letter A, that should select all of your text or all of your files or all of your, whatever it Is you have there? This is a much better method than using the mouse to click and drag down the scroll bar after all. How do you know you're really at the end of your document or the end of all the cells in your Excel workbook or worksheet control. A a of course for the word all all control, a selects, everything," Pretty good
(5) Windows 10 speech recognition: "well here I am using state recognition was the text be a All I see it pops up in notepad one small head is open 123 45 Hal is this going to translate or transcribe my natural speaking voice it doesn't seem to be very well"

Cheers, Chris

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Veed - mp3 to txt might be of interest to you. It has a free version of about 10 minutes audio transcription that you can download as a text file. There is also an option to fine tune timing of the captions.

Here is a video introdution of veed.

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »