Firefox 4 Beta

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Firefox 4 Beta

Post by Bigaldoc »

This may be a question for Tony since he's probably closer than most of us to Firefox's development:

I've downloaded the LATEST version 4 beta and the Release Notes says:

• "Please note that installing Firefox 4 Beta will not overwrite your existing installation of Firefox. You won’t lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available."

So my understanding of the above grammar is that the beta and my current version will co-exist. Do I have it right?

TonyE
3StarLounger

Re: Firefox 4 Beta

Post by TonyE »

Firefox 4 can co-exist quite happily with previous versions, but unfortunately the way Mozilla has done this has created problems, specifically by default both versions will use the same profile folder (location where Firefox stores user data). Switching between different versions of Firefox using the same profile folder can cause problems.

The beta by default installs in a different location than the release version, for example on 32 but Windows the default installation directories are:
Release version: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
Firefox 4 beta 9: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 9\

If you want to use both versions, you should set up a new profile folder for Firefox 4 beta, and create shortcuts to launch the correct profiles for each version. The Mozilla support article concerning creating profiles can be found here - https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is some good information about managing profile on the Mozillazine knowledge base. There are currently intermittent problems with Mozillazine, so if the following links do not work try again later.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Shortcut_to_a ... ic_profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Testing_pre-release_versions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can copy data such as bookmarks and passwords to the new profile, for details see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will only be able to have one version of Firefox open at a time, if you want to have both versions open at the same time you need to add the -no-remote command line argument to the shortcut.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks a million Tony! I knew you'd have some helpful tips.

You're right about the Mozillazine problem. I was gonna look at the copying profiles link and it won't load right now. I'll try again later today. I haven't installed the Beta 9 yet. Taking it slow and careful but in looking, it seems that a few Loungers HAVE run the beta without "disastrous" problems.

Thanks again...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

So far, so good! (I hope) I don't know what others did when installing the Version 4 Beta, but in light of Tony's "caution" about profiles here's what I did. I didn't really need the Mozillazine guidance as it turns out.

1) Using the command line I ran "firefox -profilemanager" for my 3.6.13 version and created an additional profile, calling it For Beta 9.
2011-01-17_111800.png
2) From Windows Explorer, I navigated to my Fx profiles folder and copied all files from the current to the Beta 9 folder.

3) I then did the Version 4 Beta 9 install and when it ran for the first time, all I had to do was choose the new profile.

I've since started both 3.6.13 and 4.0 without problems. Obviously the only "new" thing is that I must leave the "Don't Ask At Startup" box un-ticked.

Thanks again, Tony !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Just a couple of observations so far that are VERY trivial and not worth reporting to Mozilla.

When you do what I did in keeping both 3.6.13 and 4.0 beta, using different profiles, every time you start EITHER you get asked the question of whether you want Fx to be your default. That's understandable since they are "separate" installations, each one setting itself as the default.

In Fx 4.0 my "screen perspective" has been changed to a different resolution (DPI ???) and I don't know where. When I shut 4.0 down and run 3.6 again, IT IS ALSO in that same perspective. But if I shut it down and run it again, the perspective returns to what it was.

I've run about:config and searched "DPI" and there's only one setting, both 3.6 and 4.0 say it's a " -1 "

The attached is a crop of my web page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

BigAl, please keep us posted with your impressions of the new Fx.

Edit: Ooops! Too late... you're way ahead of me!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

For the issue about asking to be the default, for the version of Firefox that you do not want to be the default, in the Options dialog go to the Advanced panel, and then the General tab and de-select the setting for Firefox to check that it is the default on startup.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well, it gets worse Tony and the default thing is not something I would worry about. I knew I could tell it to stop that.

I'm gonna promise to not jump off the deep end as we sometimes do when we first start running new software. Often it's a case of finding our answer and not getting our noses out of joint because of an initial reaction.

BUT, I tried to do the "feedback" icon and it only allows 140 characters for a feedback and no identification of who you are so you can be responded to about your feedback. It was all I could do to make a feedback on the above perspective post in 140 characters or less! Gimme a break Mozilla! I know you don't want verbosity but 140 characters is ridiculous!

Next question I'm still digging into is ADDONS. I downloaded an addon compatibility reporter from the Mozilla site but it contains an .RDF installer file which Windows doesn't know what to do with. How in the name of Heaven do I check my 3.6.13 addons for compatibility with 4.0 beta? If I click the Tools Addons link it just brings me to a menu of available addons.

I think they've got some PR work to do before they release this baby! And as I said, I'm trying to be careful in my early use.