AMD PowerPlay

RonH
SilverLounger

AMD PowerPlay

Post by RonH »

I use HP Laptop with Intel i7 and Radeon Graphics which has PowerPlay technology.
Is it OK to operate the pc for maximum graphics performance with the PowerPlay feature permanently turned off in the Catalyst Control Centre.
http://www.amd.com/it/products/technolo ... -play.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been experiencing graphics auto restarts (Video Hardware Errors) when using graphics intensive programmes such as Power Director and Photoshop. It is not a constant problem but can cause some difficulties/loss of unsaved actions ... I limit failures also by rebooting pc before using these programmes.
To help limit the number of video failures I have also set the controller for High Performance GPU eg not auto switching to Power Saving.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: AMD PowerPlay

Post by RonH »

I raised this unanswered thread some time back and since I have had the PowerPlay feature permanently turned off in the Catalyst Control Centre and have all the other settings at 'maximum performance' there have been no graphics failures. Is it OK to use a laptop (HP i7 processor etc) 'flat out' all the time?
The programmes I use a lot that consume 'power' are Cyberlink Power Director 10 and Adobe Photoshop Elements.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the laptop gets very hot, it may have a negative impact on the lifetime of some of its components. And when you're operating on battery power, you'll probably have to recharge the battery frequently. Other than that, I don't see any objection.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans. Will keep a check on operating temps ... I have Speccy installed.
Never use just the battery for these graphics activities.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.