Capturing Screen Shots

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Re: Capturing Screen Shots

Post by Dave Davison »

Fair comment Hans but the app is still available for free download and is a sinch to use. Cheers Dave

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Just because its freely available doesn't make it sensible to use it, even if it is trivial to use. You should consider the risks.

1) Security
Since the original developer's website no longer exists the only places it will be available from are third party download sites. That means you can't verify the integrity of the version you are getting. It might be perfectly OK but equally it could contain unwanted extras ranging from irritating but harmless Toolbars that get added to your browser through full blown browser hijacks to an out right virus.

2) Compatibility
It predates Win 10 by four years, so although it works, it might introduce some sort of instability to Win 10. I doubt it would crash Win 10 but it might mean you lose something you are working on while it is running.

If you're OK with the risks, fine. Me? I'd pass on this one and look for something that's still under active development.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the word of caution Ken, always open to correction, what about Screenpresso that Rudy suggested though again that was way back in 2013?

Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Screenpresso has recently been updated: version 2.1.8 is from November of 2022. It is compatible with Windows 10 and 11.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 16:44
...always open to correction...
I wasn't really trying to correct you, I was only trying to present a wider picture so that you, or anybody else that finds this topic, can make your own but informed decision.

The internet often gets a bad press for being full of misinformation but there is probably far more stuff out there that is only partial information and that is perhaps even more dangerous as it can be much harder to spot and thus taken as fact / truth when the full picture is very different. I could give examples but I won't as I'd almost certainly end up breaking Rule 10.

Ken

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Re: Capturing Screen Shots: Snipping Tool extra paint drop icon

Post by DocAElstein »

Hello
For fairly simple stuff I always found Snipping Tool OK for Vista and windows 7. It was continued in windows 10, ( and we have discussed a bug in windows 10 that messes up occasionally that useful feature where you can hit Esc to get out snipping tool, then, after clicking on, for example some pop up menu, you can then get back in snipping tool with Ctrl + Print , and that allows you to catch a pop up in a snip that otherwise would vanish when you used snipping tool in the more usual way.
Image However as time has gone on I have seen that bug only rarely, and when it cropped up on one machine it seemed to go away on its own and then all was well. )

Like others, if I needed a bit more pretty formatting I did the Ctrl + Print , which I believe puts the whole screen as a pic in the clipboard, then opened MS Paint, pasted there and worked on that.
However, a few years back I noticed a small extra paint drop type icon thing in the top ribbon of the Snipping tool Editor window , that first appears after you do a snip.
If you click on that you get your sniped pic opened in a version of MS Paint, ( 3D Paint it’s called , I think). I found that rather nice and convenient.
The graffiti spray can effect is my favourite. :evilgrin: Image
The advancements in Internet can sometimes be helpful to keep things away from the real world where they might do real damage, - Up until a few years ago someone kept making a mess on the miserable neighbours nice garage. He has gone now, so we are all in a better place now, and I get on really well with the new owner. But I like to reminisce sometimes and think of my old “friend” Image

I mentioned this extra feature of Snipping Tool to a few people. It seems to have appeared early on in a Windows 10 update, and not many people noticed. I only found one thing on it so far.
As I recall there was talk a few years ago, which would have been around the time that this feature was added, that Microsoft wanted to get rid of Snipping Tool, ( but it may have then hung on a bit because a lot of people liked it.) Possibly for that reason this new feature was not publicised so much. (… and Maybe the guy that added this feature got fired , Lol! )

Alan

( Edit P.S. Another reason I like Snipping tool is that if I have a typical camera pic I want to upload to Eileen’s Lounge, I usually have to mess about to get the file size reduced to allow it to upload, but if I do a quick snipping Tool snip of it, then so far the snipped version is always within the size limit, so it’s a quick way to do a quick resize , and maybe add some bit of extra Art along the way :) )

Ref
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 9a19985936
https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-take ... ping-tool/
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 9a19985936
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The history of Snipping Tool is typically Microsoft: it was to be deprecated and replaced with Snip & Sketch. But it was not discontinued.
Then later, features from Snip & Sketch were merged into Snipping Tool, and Snip & Sketch is no longer part of Windows 11, as far as I can tell.
Best wishes,
Hans

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Re: Capturing Screen Shoties

Post by DocAElstein »

I think we discussed that you can get the windows 11 snip thing and paint thing to work similarly to the way things worked in windows 10, but the key combinations and steps to go through are slightly more complicated as I recall ( https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 36#p292961 )
( In the “windows 10 Debloat / sanitize windows/ I don’t like MS deciding what I have to do ” community, Snipping Tool seemed to have been liked whereas Snip & Sketch was not. Microsoft wanted to replace Snipping Tool with Snip & Sketch .
Often removing Snip & Sketch was one of the things these peoples debloating coding did, or tried to. The new “mixed / merged Snipping Tool /Snip & Sketch thing” is a perhaps a kind of interesting development bearing that in mind?, since you just have that one thing now to get rid of or not. Some sort of strange mergy/compromisey, thing somewhere in-between, sort of, maybe... )
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(