Speaking Of Graphics Software

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Speaking Of Graphics Software

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't want to beat a dead horse in my PSP X2/X3 thread. So let me start afresh. I've already said that I have a difficult time learning Gimp and Paint.Net so I plan to continue using PSP 10 for awhile.

Meanwhile, I'd be interested in comments and suggestions about other graphics/photo editing software in the "less than $100" range, in other words I'm not interested in high-end stuff for lack of money and need.

Jaystarter mentioned PhotoPlus X3 in the aforementioned thread.

A recent WS article contained a story about Sagelight with both a free and low priced version.

And of course there's the oft mentioned Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 wherein I don't know if we have any users here with experience in the product.

Any thoughts on either the above products or others will be great reading. Thanks!

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Re: Speaking Of Graphics Software

Post by jaystarter »

Juat as an aside Big Al, I mentioined I've become a fan of other Serif stuff (Page Plus desktop publisher, Draw Plus vector Drawing prog, WebPlus website maker) but the one thing you get from them is a money back garuntee. Here in UK You can try it and send it back within 30 days if you dont like it that goes for a download or if you buy on CD.
Jeff

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

jaystarter wrote:Juat as an aside Big Al, I mentioined I've become a fan of other Serif stuff (Page Plus desktop publisher, Draw Plus vector Drawing prog, WebPlus website maker) but the one thing you get from them is a money back garuntee. Here in UK You can try it and send it back within 30 days if you dont like it that goes for a download or if you buy on CD.
I use Serif PagePlus (Desk-Top Publishing) quite a lot, and WebPlus a bit. I've looked at PhotoPlus in a far older version than is available now, and I've had a look at the documentation for the latest version. It has a lot going for it, and the only reason I don't use it is that I am a happy user of a mixture of Capture One to process Raw files, and GIMP. But I'd have thought that Serif PhotoPlus might well be a good choice. You can download the manual from http://www.serif.com/community/productmanuals.asp which would give you a bit of an idea of what it is like.

Ian

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

The major problem for me is that PhotoPlus doesn't seem to have a trial version. The web page assumes purchase for $80 (USD).

June Bug
Lounger

Post by June Bug »

I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt. I've used Photoshop 2 for years and recently purchased PS8 for $59.99 at B & H Photo. I haven't had a lot of time to play with 8 yet but the basic features seem to be the same as PS2 and the new features look interesting. From what I've seen so far it's well worth the price.

JB
:music:

JB

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

WELCOME BACK JUNE BUG :chocciebar: :cheers: :fanfare:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Bigaldoc wrote:The major problem for me is that PhotoPlus doesn't seem to have a trial version. The web page assumes purchase for $80 (USD).
I haven't tried Photoplus myself and have no connection with pushing Serif Products but they do do many "cut down" versions of their software if you want to try them for free have a look here http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/photoplus/ and scroll down to download PhotoPlus SE if you want to try it but the download is 70mb
Jeff

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

jaystarter wrote:... scroll down to download PhotoPlus SE if you want to try it but the download is 70mb
Thanks Jeff. That $10 is certainly worth a shot 'cuz it has a background eraser which I use a lot. Might give that one a shot.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Bigaldoc wrote:
jaystarter wrote:... scroll down to download PhotoPlus SE if you want to try it but the download is 70mb
Thanks Jeff. That $10 is certainly worth a shot 'cuz it has a background eraser which I use a lot. Might give that one a shot.
I think it's fair to say that there are quite a lot of new features in the latest version. You get a bit of a flavour of the program from the video here and there are quite a few more tutorials on YouTube that give you more of an idea of things the program can do.

Ian

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Bigaldoc wrote:
You no need to pay $10......try the FREE "PhotoPlus SE"
Jeff

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

You're right but I was "influenced" by this chart:
2010-02-10_072607.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Bigaldoc wrote:You're right but I was "influenced" by this chart:
2010-02-10_072607.png
Oh right yes. I know some features aren't included in the free versions. And just to end if you do try any of Serif stuff (you usually need to register with email addy, but you can opt out of newsletters and things and they dont bombard you with junk) in my experience they always send you an offer to buy the latest versions at greatly reduced price after a few weeks.
Jeff

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks Jeff. I do intend to buy the $10 buck one - what the heck! And I will register, of course, in order to do so. I already peeked that far ahead to see the registration screen, then I backed out for the moment. Thanks.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

jaystarter wrote:in my experience they always send you an offer to buy the latest versions at greatly reduced price after a few weeks.
Yes. I haven't paid full price for any of their products ever, and I've been using PagePlus and WebPlus in several successive versions for years.

Ian

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Bigaldoc wrote:Thanks Jeff. I do intend to buy the $10 buck one - what the heck! And I will register, of course, in order to do so. I already peeked that far ahead to see the registration screen, then I backed out for the moment. Thanks.
Well I decided to buy the latest PhotoPlus X3 (at an upgrade price) and it came today. It looks as though it will do a lot of the standard sorts of things. Remember this picture? It was fairly easy to create a new layer, a layer mask, etc and make the same kinds of adjustments to it as we previously tried with GIMP.

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

IanWilson wrote:Well I decided to buy the latest PhotoPlus X3 (at an upgrade price) and it came today. It looks as though it will do a lot of the standard sorts of things. Remember this picture? It was fairly easy to create a new layer, a layer mask, etc and make the same kinds of adjustments to it as we previously tried with GIMP.
Indeed I DO remember the photo, Ian. Good job!

So far I've only tried the limited version but if and when the "opportunity" presents itself, I'll probably upgrade. The problem for me is that I've been using PSP for so many years that it's difficult to MAKE myself dedicate the time necessary to learn a new graphics program. I've really tried with both Gimp and Paint.Net but other than your assistance with my photos, I haven't gotten very far.

This Serif product line looks like it might be the place for me to go in order to migrate "away" from PSP but it'll take time. Thanks for making the post!

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Keep us updated Big Al 'cause I might follow you with away from PSP
Jeff

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I thought I'd let everyone know that I've been keeping an eye on the Serif products ever since this thread.

You might recall that I did buy the $10 version of PhotoPlus – Free Image & Photo Editing Software Download but have only used it on a limited basis.

Today I received another email from Serif with an offer for another one of their products, Draw Plus, but so far I've not seen any emails for the (normally) $80 PhotoPlus X3 Digital Studio – Serif.

I'm keeping my eye peeled for any offer less than the $80 and at that time I'll probably spring for it and try to learn to do what Ian expertly demonstrated above in this thread!

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

patience Big Al.......from my experience they will eventually offer you Photoplus as well as most of their other software.
Jeff

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

jaystarter wrote:patience Big Al.......from my experience they will eventually offer you Photoplus as well as most of their other software.
Ahhhh, success! Thanks for your "patience" counsel, Jeff!

Today, after 20+ emails from Serif for various of their products, I FINALLY received an email for a HALF PRICE copy of their PhotoPlus X3 product which I jumped on immediately. Here's hoping I can finally find a way away from PSP...