What Drawing Software?

BobH
UraniumLounger

What Drawing Software?

Post by BobH »

Does anyone know of software (preferably free) that will draw simple geometric shapes to specified dimensions and allow control of line width, boldness, and shading?

I've used SketchUp for quite awhile and consider myself proficient but not expert in its usage. It is quite powerful - more powerful than I need most often - but doesn't allow me to control lines (dashed, solid, etc.) and line weight. I can draw shapes in Word but it is hardly user friendly and is too fussy. Again, selection of line characteristics is very limited.

I'd like to be able to load a program, select a geometric shape, choose dimensions and line characteristics (solid, dashed, wide, thin, etc.) and be done with it.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: What Drawing Software?

Post by stuck »

Is this the sort of thing you mean?
Dia Diagram Editor
"Dia is a program to draw structured diagrams"

Ken
PS Forgot to mention - the price is right :free:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, stuck!

That looks like what I need. I'll let you know how it worked when I get a chance to try it out.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I've only used Dia by proxy, i.e. someone asked how they could draw a flowchart, I didn't know so I asked Google, which pointed me to Dia. Having installed it on my colleagues PC it was assumed by them that I knew and understood all about the application and I was expected to guide them in it's use!

It seemed straightforward and it did the simple job my colleague wanted.

Ken