curiosity question re wmv and flv

tomyrush
2StarLounger

curiosity question re wmv and flv

Post by tomyrush »

I run firefox and have been using "download helper" which works very well. It seems to work with different formats, but it always converts videos to flv format. I recently had a problem with a wmv file that was converted to flv by download helper.

No big problem, but it made me wonder about the differences - I googled both extensions and found out a ton of details that were way more than I cared to know.

other than some video cameras use wmv and Adobe flash uses flv - is there anything else I should know? The flv results by download helper seem significantly smaller, is that normal?

Tom

HansV
Administrator

Re: curiosity question re wmv and flv

Post by HansV »

Flv files are usually smaller than the corresponding wmv file, but it depends on the compression settings; there are situations in which a flv file is larger than the corresponding wmv file.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I've got Download Helper on my PC at home but I've not used it very much. If I remember correctly there are options/settings in it that control the conversion of whatever is downloaded. Also and again if I remember correctly while the conversion process may be automatic it is actually a separate process and it is possible to get DH to simply download a file 'as is', i.e if the source is wmv you can get it as a wmv.

Sorry this is a bit vague but I hope it's enough to nudge you in a useful direction :grin:

Ken

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

i FIGURED OUT PART OF THE CONVERSION PROCESS - BUT NOT ALL OF IT
Thanks
Tom