Two "Photo Stitching" Programs

Leif
Administrator

Re: Two "Photo Stitching" Programs

Post by Leif »

stuck wrote:Version 2 using MS ICE....
You must have done this second version one pretty quick after the first - that para-glider bloke has hardly moved!
Leif

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

stuck wrote:Version 2 using MS ICE, even easier to use as it made the joins without complaining. looks like it's made a better job of the joins too.

Ken
Now all we need is to improve the exposure a bit.
pano_02_4web.jpg
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Leif wrote: - that para-glider bloke has hardly moved!
:yep: he was hanging around for some time
IanWilson wrote:Now all we need is to improve the exposure a bit
Except that the original, with its lower contrast, is nearer the way view actually looked

:grin:

Ken

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

stuck wrote:
Leif wrote: - that para-glider bloke has hardly moved!
:yep: he was hanging around for some time
IanWilson wrote:Now all we need is to improve the exposure a bit
Except that the original, with its lower contrast, is nearer the way view actually looked

:grin:

Ken
Fair enough!

Ian

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

IanWilson wrote:Fair enough!
but the tweaked version does look better - funny thing colour perception :scratch:

Ken

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

stuck wrote:
IanWilson wrote:Fair enough!
but the tweaked version does look better - funny thing colour perception :scratch:

Ken
Well on the day you may well have looked at the scene and wished that it wasn't quite so hazy so that you could see it more clearly - and with the wonders of digital photography, you can.

I think I may have overdone the first attempt though. How about this?
pano_02_4web v2.jpg
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Still a bit contrasty I think but, at the risk of sounding ungrateful, please don't waste any time fiddling with this version. It's resized (down) and very highly compressed to make it Lounge friendly. The original was made from the std jpgs (3 of them) from a 10 megapixel camera. I have the RAW files too but I've not looked to see if MS ICE can handle them.

Ken

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

stuck wrote:Still a bit contrasty I think but, at the risk of sounding ungrateful, please don't waste any time fiddling with this version. It's resized (down) and very highly compressed to make it Lounge friendly. The original was made from the std jpgs (3 of them) from a 10 megapixel camera. I have the RAW files too but I've not looked to see if MS ICE can handle them.

Ken
You can't use MS ICE on RAW files if I remember right. When I've used it I have generally generated JPGs from my RAW files and worked with those.

In case you are interested, I used GIMP for both of my "fiddlings" with your picture. The first one was done by duplicating the image as two layers and setting the layer blending mode to multiply. I could have made it less contrasty by setting the opacity of the upper layer to less than 100 per cent. The second one was done with a single layer using the levels tool to bring the black point up to the left edge of the histogram. (i.e. the darkest pixels in the original picture were quite a lot brighter than black, but now they are black.) Again I could have produced a less extreme result by bringing the black point only part way to the left hand edge of the histogram.

Ian

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

IanWilson wrote:In case you are interested
Yes, thanks, I am. I have GIMP and UFRAW (even Photoshop Elements is beyond me right now) but the tweaking needed to get the best out of a RAW file is all new to me. At the moment I'm still taking my 'serious' ( :rofl: ) pictures with my film SLR (Pentax SFXn, had it for a loooooooooooooooong time). The Canon DSLR I have unexpectedly acquired is just being used to gather images to experiment with, hence the panorama/photo-stitch.

I'm starting simple and mainly using Canon's Digital Photo Professional software to manipulate the RAW files, while also looking at similar how things work in UFRAW. Multiple layers etc. are some way off my radar just yet.

Ken

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

stuck wrote:
IanWilson wrote:In case you are interested
Yes, thanks, I am. I have GIMP and UFRAW (even Photoshop Elements is beyond me right now) but the tweaking needed to get the best out of a RAW file is all new to me. At the moment I'm still taking my 'serious' ( :rofl: ) pictures with my film SLR (Pentax SFXn, had it for a loooooooooooooooong time). The Canon DSLR I have unexpectedly acquired is just being used to gather images to experiment with, hence the panorama/photo-stitch.

I'm starting simple and mainly using Canon's Digital Photo Professional software to manipulate the RAW files, while also looking at similar how things work in UFRAW. Multiple layers etc. are some way off my radar just yet.

Ken
I haven't used Canon Digital Photo Professional (I don't have a Canon) but it has a good reputation. You'd probably find it better than UFRAW. I use Capture one Pro to deal with my RAW files, but it's fairly expensive. Great results, though.

Ian

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

IanWilson wrote:I use Capture one Pro to deal with my RAW files
I've heard of that and noticed the price, you have a serious photo hobby then?

Ken

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

stuck wrote:
IanWilson wrote:I use Capture one Pro to deal with my RAW files
I've heard of that and noticed the price, you have a serious photo hobby then?

Ken
Serious hobby? Yes that's about right!

There are two versions of Capture One, Capture One Express and Capture One Pro. You can do a lot with the Express version and that costs £79 + VAT here http://www.captureonecomplete.com/uk/. You can try before you buy for 30 days.

You can also get a flavour of the program from some of the video tutorials they have put on YouTube, for instance this introductory one. http://youtu.be/jc0ZF0Tykgo

And no, they don't pay me commission!

Ian

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

IanWilson wrote:Serious hobby? Yes that's about right
You mean even more serious than that, as in it pays the bills?

Ken

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

stuck wrote:
IanWilson wrote:Serious hobby? Yes that's about right
You mean even more serious than that, as in it pays the bills?

Ken
Oh no, nothing like that. Just a hobbyist.

Ian