Two novice questions about graphics:-

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Two novice questions about graphics:-

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:You might get a better result by simply telling Foxit to "Fit to printer margins" when printing the document.There is also an option in Foxit to scale a document when you print it...
Thanks Stuart.
I hadn't noticed the "scale" feature. (I mainly print MSWord documents to a USB key and print text on the little printer at the library).

I would imagine that scaling to 500% (or 'fit to paper size) would be what they do at the 21" or 42" print shops before they print to a real-live roll-printer.
I tried 500% on my laptop but since my only printer is a new PDF file, i got a sheet of paper with a good detail of a small part of the map.
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Am I missing something here?
Yes, re-read my post about pixelation then re-read Alan's posts and use one of his solutions.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote:Hi Chris; I converted your PDF image to SVG (scalable vector graphic) format using Inkscape. Image is 4.65MB and scales up very nicely in a browser at 500% ...
Thank you, Alan, for your kind offer to convert this map.
I think I should learn to do this myself because over the next few months I will locate many maps, each of which I may want to edit/trim (as noted in a reply of mine fifteen minutes ago) before printing.

I have d/l inkscape-0.92.3-x64.exe and a few pages of supporting documentation and will run a trial later tonight.

Thanks Again
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:[... try the attached zip file, which contains the PDF you linked to saved as .bmp file. I converted it using an ancient version of Photoshop.... The image is only 780 pixels high by 737 pixels wide. That's not a lot of data.
Hi Ken, and thanks again.
yes, it is the loss of data that gets me.
My initial attempts were, of course, a PrtScr of the PDF image, saved as a JPG/PNG, but the bottom line here seems to be the number of pixels on my laptop screen.
I know from applying Zoom500% that the PDF file has either the data or the smarts to get the job done.
I suspect that (Alan Miller) Inkscape might be the way to go.

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote:... why you can't send the original PDF to your monster printer and scale the print size up, possibly using a "fit to paper size" or similar option in the printer dialog. Alan
Thanks again, Alan.
Yes, this has been an option all along.
For my first print job I took a USB key with TIFF or GIF files loaded and handed the key to the printer. Minutes later I walked out the store drooling and have been going back regularly.

USP stores allow me to email a LINK to the image and it will be printed and ready for me when I show up with my rapidly-shrinking wallet, which is even neater.

Now I am at the point of thinking that I can squeeze a better image, better for me, by pre-editing the image to remove data/information that I neither need nor want BEFORE printing. hence my desire to get at the image stored within the PDF document.

I hope that this is all making sense.
I am greedy for maps ...
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote:...The PNG size I chose is 5350 x 5760 px at around 96 dpi. This is roughly what you guessed at in your initial post.
bitmap.png
¡Es muy bueno!

I see it in wonderful detail and a size about 55 inches on a side, which means it will still be at good detail at 42 inches.

Is this the result of going through Inkscape?

Thanks again
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:Chris - considering all the efforts going into this, wouldn't it be simpler just to get a smaller bedroom ceiling?
But Leif!
That's the reason I'm going to Alcorcón.
:laugh: :rofl:
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote:Yes, I know I'm on an OCD mission here
Alan, your Optical Cartographic Development is, and I suspect all Loungers will side with me here, the most wonderful thing about you! :rofl: :laugh:
I printed it to one of my virtual printers - Solid PDF Creator. I defined a custom page/paper size (55in x 60in) and called it "Super Chris". I printed it out to that selected size, and came up with the upsized image, all ready to print to a real printer. The quality is excellent: ...
Thank you again, again. I have d.l SolidPDFCreatorv9.exe too.

I have visions of arriving overseas with a huge mental repository of maps, but unable to ask directions because of the lack of time to study the language on account of the time spent learning how to drive graphic applications. :hairout: :flee:

Please tell me that this isn't a nefarious plot to keep me isolated in Canada ...

Cheers
Chris

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Now I am at the point of thinking that I can squeeze a better image, better for me, by pre-editing the image to remove data/information that I neither need nor want BEFORE printing. hence my desire to get at the image stored within the PDF document.
OK, now I have a better idea of what you're trying to achieve. I'm guessing the process would be:

1. Extract original vector image from PDF
2. Edit objects in vector file
3. "Print" vector file to a PDF at the paper-printable size you'd like

To achieve this, I'd do the following:

1. Open the PDF in Inkscape (just use the defaults in the dialog)
2. Magnify the view to suit your editing needs and do your edits.
3. Save as PDF (copy or original)
4. Open the saved PDF then "print" a new one using a virtual printer driver, capable of defining your desired custom page/paper size, like the Solid PDF Creator I linked to.
chris1.png
NOTE: Editing in Inkscape (or any serious vector graphics software) is quite a learning curve in itself. Selecting and deleting existing objects is pretty easy to pick up on though.

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Might I suggest that you go into [Michaelangelo / Sistine Chapel]-mode, and paint the work yourself on your own ceiling?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Actually it's my OsteoChondritis Dissecans ... but never mind. :grin:

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote: am considering hiring myself out to firms that produce eBooks ...
:laugh:

If not ghosts, then two stone tablets.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Incidentally Chris, what is your source of all these city maps?

Alan

jolas
2StarLounger

Post by jolas »

The JPG and TIFF format are raster based files (JPG being compressed will have smaller footprint and Tiff bein uncompressed would usually have large file size) that when zoomed in at a certain point will pixelate as you increase the zoom factor and as you have already seen, while the PDF version of the file I shared is vector base when I converted it. The text were also converted to shape. Vector base files will scale well even zoom in or printed to almost any size maintaning the smooth curves and visual fidelity.

The JPG Version is a raster graphics (compressed when saved)
Dimensions 5601 x 5562 pixels
Horizontal and Vertical resolution at 96dpi
Roughly 142 x 142 cm print size at 100 dpi
56" x 56"

The TIF Version is a raster graphics (uncompressed when saved) larger file size compared to JPG
Dimensions 16334 x 16220 pixels
Horizontal and Vertical resolution at 280dpi
Roughly 137 x 137 cm print size at 300 dpi
54" x 54"

The PDF Version is vector so printing to any size is possible
Roughly 153 x 153 cm
60" x 60"

I am no graphics expert I just gave you the detail information of the files I shared with you.

40" - 60" printing any of these files will give you your desired output.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

There's one last one that came to mind, if you just wanted a straight large size JPG (or other raster format) from the PDF vector image.
Kvisoft :free: PDF to Image converter. Quick & easy, does a good job.

Alan

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote:OK, now I have a better idea of what you're trying to achieve. I'm guessing the process would be:
Good; you are then way ahead of me (grin!) I am still struggling to define my needs. From any source I want to (1) edit a map and then (2) either enlarge it to a Big Frame size (typically four-foot square) or shrink it to a Picture Frame size - typically 24"by 18" - whatever gets thrown out in the alley next door to me.

It was/is obtaining the editiable file (PNG/JPG as I thought) from a PDF file that stumped me.
I spent Friday night and a large part of Saturday playing with Inkscape, "Free SVG Editor" and that SuperPdfPrinter, getting myself totally confused.
I will essay again this weekend and also take a look at "Kvisoft :free: PDF to Image converter."
NOTE: Editing in Inkscape (or any serious vector graphics software) is quite a learning curve in itself. Selecting and deleting existing objects is pretty easy to pick up on though.
Funnily enough, it is Selecting that has me baffled. I can't seem to be able to select a complete set of an inset. I can select items one by one.
This in itself is an education since some PDF images seem to have had a legend title "map of madrid" assembled from individual graphic objects, each containing one letter!
cheers and Many Thanks.
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Might I suggest that you go into [Michaelangelo / Sistine Chapel]-mode, and paint the work yourself on your own ceiling?
I tried that but the ceiling fan kept chopping bits off the end of my brush, and after I'd dropped off to sleep, the splinters ... :flee: .
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote:Incidentally Chris, what is your source of all these city maps?
In general, "the web".
It is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain maps that one can hold in one's hand, carry on to a bus, or pin up on a wall to annotate and plan one's trip.

Even Indigo here in Toronto doesn't stock 1;10,000 or 1:5,000 maps of Madrid. Four years ago I bought maps to that scale of Paris environs; made the bus trips most enjoyable.
Printed maps serve as a passport to help; locals will volunteer to help me by pointing out where we are; a conversation ensues ('You're an AusTRAILian?!!???")

St John's Newfoundland (a) no longer hands out its city maps to tourists; although a printed copy is pinned up on every manager's wall. They just don't want the public to have a hard-copy. You are supposed to go to the web and print one out. Best of luck finding a 42" colour printer in St John's on any morning, let alone a weekend.
This is the same Bus system that built its new headquarters so far out of town that it is beyond all the regular bus routes.

The helpful clerk in the "i"nformation Kiosk at Poissy apologized; they had bus maps until last year (2015) he told me, but now all you get is a little concertina map. You are supposed to KNOW where you are going. that is, the system does not cater to footloose tourists.

For years now Toronto has made its P*A*T*H maps so prohibitively expensive that no-one stocks them. Not hotels(1), not libraries, not information desks, not even City Hall itself. Lack of demand appears to have been the reason for pulling the plug on production of the maps. Go Figure. Thirty kilometres of linked underground pathway, but no map for visitors.

Oh, sorry. I forgot to tuen on the RANT smiley. Bit late now. ...
(1)That's not quite true. The hotels go to the web and print the map out in black-and-white on a letter-size sheet of paper and slide it across the desk to me.
I rotate it 180 degrees, jab at the hotel I'm in and ask the pert clerk "Can you tell me what building this is?", and they never can.
It's about the only fun I get out of life nowadays ....
(signed) "Grumpier-than-usual" of Toronto(2)

(2) Go look it up on the web, don't ask me for a map ....

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jolas wrote:40" - 60" printing any of these files will give you your desired output.
Thanks Jolas. I shall use these as my benchmarks.
Chris

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Funnily enough, it is Selecting that has me baffled. I can't seem to be able to select a complete set of an inset. I can select items one by one.
This in itself is an education since some PDF images seem to have had a legend title "map of madrid" assembled from individual graphic objects, each containing one letter!
cheers and Many Thanks.
Chris
The Kvisoft was just a quick afterthought. Can't really vouch for the quality, but I'd stick with all vector PDF myself.
EDIT: Maybe scrub that suggestion entirely. Just gave Kvisoft a whirl and the results were less than ordinary.

The multiple selection is always confusing. This tutorial might help. Also, some objects, originally as text, have to be converted to shapes (I guess because of font matching or something) ... hence the appearance of "individual letters". It can be "challenging" finding the right font to insert your own text with a close match to the existing "converted" text shapes too.

Working with layers is also a "challenge" but is wonderfully powerful once you get used to it. In fact, the whole Inkscape app is a real powerhouse. This might be a good starting place generally.

bon chance
Alan
Last edited by AlanMiller on 27 May 2018, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.