Web hosting - free?

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Web hosting - free?

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

Is there any such thing these days as a 'free web host'? I know they are cheap enough anyway, but I'm just looking for a host to test some JavaScript pages for a short period.

Any recommendations please? I would eventually want to post/test PHP & MySql pages as well but my focus is currently on JavaScript.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Re: Web hosting - free?

Post by Jezza »

Hi Andy

Why not just run it locally PortableApps.com to test it
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Short period, hmmm, many offer a 30-day trial period...

Many free hosts impose restrictions (e.g., must use site builder) or insert ads. I could lend you a directory on one of my hosts if you don't find anything suitable. Can't seem to figure out how to set up FTP for that; need to do some research.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks both. I already use the XAMPP package - it's very good.

I might sign up for a trial period somewhere. jscher: thank you for the offer. I think I'll continue my studies for the moment and make a decision later.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

jscher2000 wrote:Many free hosts impose restrictions (e.g., must use site builder) or insert ads. I could lend you a directory on one of my hosts if you don't find anything suitable. Can't seem to figure out how to set up FTP for that; need to do some research.
jscher: Could I take you up on your offer to (temporarily) publish my pages, as attached? No hurry :grin: and if it's an inconvenience then 'no worries'.

I really just want to test an XMLHttpRequest from a published environment, although I will test the other pages as well. I will advise you once done so you could delete it.

The files include a flash file but I could remove this if necessary. And one page creates a (temporary - 30 days) cookie.

(It also includes my (brilliant) library (andyg.js) which is better than jQuery! I'm particularly proud of my fast sorting method, which can correctly sort dates and numbers - and a very neat function to highlight any tables' rows onmouseover.) Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.