Faster form submission

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Faster form submission

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

In my form I have suppressed the usual submit action and I construct a string from the various inputs before calling 'window.open' with the string appended for a Google search.

Is there likely to be any difference in speed between 'window.open' and using the form's submit action? There is a slight delay before the search page opens.

I realise that the (slight) delay is most likely caused by my code constructing the string (and my broadband dongle) but I'm just curious.

(I was at one stage tempted to create a hidden form and place my string in a text input and then simulate clicking the submit button. But it's only a very slight delay and this seems an overly complicated approach.)

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Re: Faster form submission

Post by jscher2000 »

I can't recall seeing any benchmark comparisons. The only difference that springs to mind is that popup blockers are much more sensitive about window.open() than target="_blank".

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi and thanks.
I've decided that the very slight pause is just me being a perfectionist. I now doubt if there would be any noticable difference if I were to use a hidden form. Besides which it would be a bit of a minefield trying to simulate clicking a submit button.
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

agibsonsw wrote:Besides which it would be a bit of a minefield trying to simulate clicking a submit button.
Actually, it's shockingly easy (shocking from the perspective of scripts hijacking your user experience right under your nose). I think you might just need to...

Code: Select all

document.getElementById("mysubmitbutton").click();
(Firefox forbids this on links, but allows it on buttons.)

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

That is a little shocking. I thought I read somewhere that it was tricky to push Submit - but obviously not. Andy.