Bookmarks site

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Bookmarks site

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. If anyone has a few minutes to spare on a wet Sunday I would be pleased to receive some gentle criticism of my website.

I was trying to make it nice/beautiful but gave up after a while and am now more interested in its functionality. In particular, the Bookmarking feature.

To use the Bookmarks page requires registering with a valid email; then log-in and click the More link to find the Bookmarks page. I haven't a page to delete your account as yet, but send me a pm and I'll delete your details afterwards - unless you find it useful :smile:

I couldn't find a bookmarking site that I liked - they were too cluttered and didn't concentrate on the bookmarks' list itself. I also wanted to be able to sort them by clicking on a column heading.

The following bookmarklet can be used to add a new bookmark by clicking a button:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){window.open('http://andrewg.comule.com/bookmarks.php?toadd='+encodeURIComponent(window.location.href));})()
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Bookmarks site

Post by agibsonsw »

Screenshot attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

westerneagle
2StarLounger

Post by westerneagle »

Looks like you are having fun putting this together!!

Personally, I think that the name "Andy's Home Page" is a little hard to read. I would think you would want the 'name' to stand out a little more.
The computers behind the name distract...

Just my uneducated 2 cents worth.... :thankyou:
Mike J

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Just a couple of things:

1. What is the purpose of your Bookmarks page? Why should I want to give you my email address if I don't know what it is, and why would you need it in the first place?

2. Are you aware of the EU Cookie Law - Audit, Analytics and Cookie Compliance?

I will refrain from commenting on "The image on the left that follows the cursor..."

:smile:
Leif

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

@westerneagle
Thank you for taking a look. I agree about the banner (mostly..). my design skills are lacking a bit :grin:. Although, functionality is my interest at the moment..

@Leif
I was hoping my screenshot would indicate the purpose of the bookmarks page;
I don't want your email for any purpose and you are under no obligation to give it :grin: ;
I shall have a look at incorporating cookie compliance - it was not something that occurred to me at this early stage;
The image on the left is of no significance to the functionality (PHP, MySql, session data, etc.) that I am exploring. Although.. you can click him to stop him moving :smile:

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

You could use mailinator if you'd rather not use your own email :smile:

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

agibsonsw wrote:@Leif
I was hoping my screenshot would indicate the purpose of the bookmarks page;
Your screenshot suggests, to me at any rate, that I need to go to your website and login to view 'my' bookmarks.
What's the advantage over the bookmarks I have in Firefox and are just one click away? That's what I don't understand!
Although.. you can click him to stop him moving :smile:
Now you tell me! :laugh:
Leif

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

@Leif
Your screenshot suggests, to me at any rate, that I need to go to your website and login to view 'my' bookmarks.
That is correct. Although, once you've logged in, it will remember you for the next visit - unless you log-out.
What's the advantage over the bookmarks I have in Firefox and are just one click away? That's what I don't understand!
You seem to have misunderstood my request. I'm not trying to promote my site, I'm just looking for a little help with testing. That is, are you able to register, log-in, add/edit/view bookmarks. But you are under no obligation :grin:

That said, I will use it myself for my own bookmarks: it will be "one click away" and is less cluttered than other bookmark sites I've tried. But my primary purpose at the moment is to confirm that it works.

PS Your Firefox bookmarks will not be available to you if you use another browser or computer.