newbie seeks Simple Guide to Javascript(??)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

newbie seeks Simple Guide to Javascript(??)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
This is what I see when I right-click in a web page and choose "Inspect Element".
I need to learn how to READ this stuff at the high-level.
I do not need to write it.

I want to learn enough of JavaScript (if that is what this is) to be able to trace with my fingers through a web page until I can pounce on a particular element.
I gather that <something> and </something> are delimiters for a nested structure, so i have a programmer's understanding of the stuff at that level, but I do not really understand some of the more common keywords such as "div", "button", "span", "css" and the like.

There are other specialized forums that can provide advice for me, but I feel I do not yet know enough about what goes on under-the-hood to pose a question.

Thanks for any links to web or pdf pages that might improve my knowledge.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: newbie seeks Simple Guide to Javascript(??)

Post by JoeP »

What you see is HTML the language of the web. See HTML for Beginners and HTML Tutorial.

Within the HTML for a web page there may be (and today most likely is) Javascript. See Javascript fundamentals and Javascript Tutorial.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 16:06
What you see is HTML the language of the web....
Joe, thank you for these four links. I took a quick glance - they all look palatable - and have bookmarked them.
I shall attack on two fronts:-
(1) Top-down, learning the theory as I go and
(2) Bottom-up, using a specific web page as a tuorial example and breaking it into its component parts.

I especially like the high-level view:-
JavaScript is one of the 3 languages all web developers must learn:
1. HTML to define the content of web pages
2. CSS to specify the layout of web pages
3. JavaScript to program the behavior of web pages

Again, Thank You!
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 22:16
...one of the 3 languages all web developers must learn...
From what I know from working with our IT developers at work, there are two other essential components to many modern websites. One is a back end SQL based database and PHP to render webpages as a front end to the db.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 08:02
... One is a back end SQL based database and PHP to render webpages as a front end to the db.
Thank you Ken. I "did" a web-based SQL twenty years ago, so even if I had remembered that, it would, for sure, be out of date now. The "PHP" rings a bell (grin).

I have noted your text.
I am trying to learn enough to read a web page (from a specific client), so I am driven by a need-to-know pressure. The SQL&PHP aspects will be needed (by me) as soon as I recognize them in any web page from the client.

I must repeat that the now-obvious breakdown into "content", "format" and "function" was a huge help. I have known that for years, teaching Business English and Word Processing, but my tired brain had not thought that it might apply, too, to web pages!

Thanks
Chris

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 19:42
I want to learn enough of JavaScript .....

Looks like you were about where I am now, a year ago Chris.

I have been playing with HTML and CSS but I've reached the stage of needing to use some Java Scripts to complete some tasks. Specifically, initially, to generate a random "image of the day".

JoeP wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 16:06
Within the HTML for a web page there may be (and today most likely is) Javascript. See Javascript fundamentals and Javascript Tutorial.

Brilliant! Cheers Joe.

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/