ShadowProtect Desktop and Acronis DiskDirector

Teunis
3StarLounger

ShadowProtect Desktop and Acronis DiskDirector

Post by Teunis »

I have SP Desktop 4.15 (10129) and Acronis DD Home 11.0 (2343) on my Win7-64HP SP1 laptop running peacefully together. Now I want to update SPD 4.15 (10129) to 4.2.1 (15272). However this installation stops immediately with a message that snapman from Acronis TrueImage (not DD) has been found and that the installation has been cancelled. But there is no snapman (or snapmnr8) on my machine! When I uninstall DD first I can install the SPD update ok, but then I cannot reinstall Acronis DD. Please advise.

Regards, Teunis

Teunis
3StarLounger

Re: ShadowProtect Desktop and Acronis DiskDirector

Post by Teunis »

I have now reported this to StorageCraft support and will keep you posted.

Regards, Teunis

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I saw something on the Macrium website (I think) that, like two antivirus products, you couldn't have it and another product which used Volume Shadow copy Service simultaneously installed/active. So probably Shadow Protect is checking for anything written by Acronis?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

John Gray wrote:I saw something on the Macrium website (I think) that, like two antivirus products, you couldn't have it and another product which used Volume Shadow copy Service simultaneously installed/active. So probably Shadow Protect is checking for anything written by Acronis?
I wouldn't think so, since Disk Director is not an Imaging program but maybe a little paranoia by SP?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

This is the answer from support (in German!!):

Wenn Sie Probleme mit Disk Director mit neuen Version haben, sollten Sie es deinstallieren... Es ist empfohlen nicht beide Software zusammen zu benutzen.
Hier ist auch den KB Artikel zusammengeführt mit diesem Problem:
http://support.storagecraft.eu/kb_detai ... id=KB10015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically it means I cannot use SPD 4.2.1 with DD11.0. The KB article is useless, I have no snapman or snman380, and when I delete the UpperFilter keys as recommended in the KB I get BSOD!! There is no service with either Acronis VSS or Snapman.

In conclusion: pretty useless. I also requested support from Acronis. I'll keep you posted about their recommendations.

Regards, Teunis

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

The long and the short is the following:
I used the SP diagnostic utility, which told me snapman was still present. Apparently the offensive Acronis snapman etc entries can only be removed (automatically) with acronis cleanup utility, after uninstalling the relevant Acronis software, but not on a per program basis - it's all or nothing! I could not find a log saying what was removed. Basically, it seems that SP 4.2.1 is more "critical" of snapman etc entries than 4.1.5. As a last effort I am going to reinstall DD11.0 and then delete manually the snapman etc references, now that I seem to have found the right instructions. I'll keep you posted.
Regars, Teunis

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

After uninstalling SP 4.2.1 it was not possible to reinstall DD11.0. I got a complicated SP manual cleaning procedure from Storagecraft, but did not bother to use it: I just restored the original situation (DD11.0 and SP 4.1.5) from a SP image. Finally I decided to keep SP 4.2.1 installed (uninstalled DD 11.0) since I use that program on at least a weekly basis. If ever I need to run DD, I can do that from the bootable DD media. I hope that sometime in the future Acronis and Storageprotect can decide on a snapin manager that suits both TI, DD and SP, probably in vain.

Regards, Teunis

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Problem finally solved!!
None of the recommended actions worked for me. The following - actually quite simple - worked for me:
1. Delete all traces of DiskDirector as follows: first uninstall the normal way, then with the Acronis TIH 2011 (NOT 2012 that causes other problems if you don't have TIH2012!!!) cleanuptool remove the final traces.
2. Install SahadowProtect 4.2.1, to be sure uninstall (don't forget to deactivate first) the previous version.
3. Install DD11.0 v.2121, which does not mind SP being there!
4. Run services.msc, look for ShadowProtect Service (there is only 1), open it, and stop it, leaving all else as is.
5. Now install DiskDirector 11.0 Update 2 2343.
6. Restart the computer.
This is what I did, it may be possible to skip step 3

Regards, Teunis