Comcast scam

DaveA
GoldLounger

Comcast scam

Post by DaveA »

There is a new scammer working sending out updates to The Constant Guard™ service , with a link to a login to one's camcast account.

But the from and return email is NOT comcast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DaveA on 05 Mar 2012, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Re: Comcast scam

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the warning, Dave!

I get similar e-mails from time to time purporting to be from my employer (to "update" my Exchange account) and from my bank (to "update" my online banking account). Neither will ever send such e-mails, so they're obviously scams...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:Thanks for the warning, Dave!

I get similar e-mails from time to time purporting to be from my employer (to "update" my Exchange account) and from my bank (to "update" my online banking account). Neither will ever send such e-mails, so they're obviously scams...
Yeah, "Verizon" also. :mad:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Got another email today, stating if I did not go and update may Comcast account, my services would be stopped.

These guys are really trying to get people. Not only that they (Comcast) have real emails promoting "special offers" but at least these appear to real.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

There appears to be a couple of obvious spelling mistakes as well! Bellow (rather than below) and automaticly (rather than automatically) - unless, of course, they represent US spelling? :grin:
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's even funnier here - the scammers apparently use a service such as Google Translate to translate their messages into Dutch, which leads to rather stilted, non-idiomatic sentences. (This makes it easier to recognize the messages as scams)
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

aekyall wrote:... - unless, of course, they represent US spelling? :grin:
:grin:
HansV wrote:It's even funnier here - the scammers apparently use a service such as Google Translate to translate their messages into Dutch, which leads to rather stilted, non-idiomatic sentences. (This makes it easier to recognize the messages as scams)
That's why the example above can be seen as a variant of CAPTCHA; this must be from a human being, since they're prone to do similar, simple, mistakes. :grin:

It's even easier (to spot) here - I've yet to receive spam, phishing attempts, in my language. Well I've got one or two translated letters, in similar fashion to what Hans mentioned, but not this.

If it's not in your language ... stick out like a sore thumb comes to mind, it's as obvious as can be; that's one advantage.

But since anti-spam software isn't geared at detecting language...

(There have been some phishing, as the above, to, among other Swedish customers at some banks, but I have not seen any of those mails. I just did a search and found one example from 2006 at one blog poking fun at the translation, so apparently they weren't that good. It's hilarious.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.