Macrium Reflect - Free Edition

RonH
SilverLounger

Macrium Reflect - Free Edition

Post by RonH »

I have version 4 freebee and see that a new version 5 is now available.
Can this be installed over existing software of do I need to first uninstall version 4 :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Macrium Reflect - Free Edition

Post by Bigaldoc »

I was on my laptop where I use Macrium and was going to run a backup when a popup window told me about the new version. I exited, downloaded and installed and don't know of any problems. I've made another backup since then as well.

As a matter of fact, I also think I was notified of a "dot" upgrade to version 5 but I'm not on the laptop now so I can't be sure.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Al ... will give it a go.

Was it necessary to create a new Rescue Disc?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hmmm, that's a very good question that I don't know the answer to, so I plan on making an updated one as soon as I get a ROUND TOIT !!!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Well here's your Round toit :evilgrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Hey Dave, that's MY tuit ! :bash: Didn't realise you nicked it !
Cheers, Claude.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sorry Dave and Claude. I've had one salted away for several years. Woulda put it in my post but I didn't get a round toit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

RonH wrote:Was it necessary to create a new Rescue Disc?
I believe it is recommended, if only to keep the Rescue Disc in step with the backup software. The latest version may contain fixes, additional drivers, and the like...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Claude wrote:Hey Dave, that's MY tuit ! :bash: Didn't realise you nicked it !
I have several that are similar and do NOT remember where I got them.

I use them a lot. I even hand them out at the end of some of my classes, so the students do not have a reason for not doing their homework. :evilgrin: :flee: :hairout:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Speaking of the Macrium rescue boot disk...

I make my backup images on USB drives attached to my home LAN. That means when I boot the rescue disk I have to go through the LONG process of letting it (Macrium) load all the necessary drivers to see my LAN. It does that quite nicely but it takes some time. I wish I could figure out exactly what drivers it needs in order to speed up that process.

Just made my disk for the latest version and tested it... just fine.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

John Gray wrote:
I believe it is recommended, if only to keep the Rescue Disc in step with the backup software. The latest version may contain fixes, additional drivers, and the like...
Yep John ... I did a bit of reading of Macrium 'Help' and it seems a new Rescue Disc would be a good idea. Making a 'Windows PE' one though would take ages due to the necessary huge download needed first from Microsoft. Is it worth it or is 'Linux' adequate for a 'novice?'
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

RonH wrote:
John Gray wrote:
Yep John ... I did a bit of reading of Macrium 'Help' and it seems a new Rescue Disc would be a good idea. Making a 'Windows PE' one though would take ages due to the necessary huge download needed first from Microsoft. Is it worth it or is 'Linux' adequate for a 'novice?'
If I remember correctly, the Linux boot disc enables you to restore exactly as was, whereas from experience I can say that the Windows PE disc enables you to change partition sizes, etc.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

RonH wrote:... Making a 'Windows PE' one though would take ages due to the necessary huge download needed first from Microsoft. Is it worth it or is 'Linux' adequate for a 'novice?'
When I got my laptop in early November, I did take the time to download that very large, long time, MS "installer" kit.

For my money it was worth it. My only experiences with Linux based boot discs was way back, in my Acronis days and I had trouble booting them with my wireless mouse and keyboard. I've stayed with the Windows PE ever since.

By the way, doing that long download once will pay off in the future I think. I just burned my 3rd Macrium recovery CD and their software uses that "kit" which now resides on the laptop and involves no download.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thank you gentlemen for your guidence. I have done a bit more investigation (= reading) and it seems that since I use USB3 I will have to get the Windows PE version Rescue Disc.
Now where is the oil so I can speed up my broadband ... I will also use your toit's under licence to get it moving :thankyou:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I'm using BartPE, since Windows PE wasn't part of the free version. (And that was a smaller download.)

Can't say exactly when they included Windows PE.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.