what is VMware Zimbra

capri
StarLounger

what is VMware Zimbra

Post by capri »

Hi,

I recently had to reload Malwarebytes software and decided to take the free trial on the full software. Since it has been running every half hour or so a pop up comes up stating that it blocked outgoing information from my computer to 84.16.224.41. When I google that address it states the it's VMware Zimbra. I have no idea what that is or why my PC should be trying to send information to that site. My anti-virus (Avira) and the Malware are both up to date and recent scans don't show anything. Does anyone have any idea what is occuring and how I can stop it?

Thanks for any assistance.

capri

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: what is VMware Zimbra

Post by Claude »

that IP address resolves to:

Wiethold Wagner
Leaseweb Germany GmbH (previously netdirekt e. K.)
Kleyer Strasse 79 / Tor 14
60326 Frankfurt
Germany

A known source of scamming attempts. Just search for Leaseweb and scam.

Update your anti-malware software, do a full scan, or better still, do a system restore. Failing that, install Microsoft security essentials and run a scan with it.
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

According to VMware Zimbra, Zimbra is "an enterprise-class, open source email, calendar and collaboration platform". Is this at home or at work?
Best wishes,
Hans

capri
StarLounger

Post by capri »

It's at home, our work is locked down so tight, I would be surprised to see anything strange come up on it.

I had downloaded an updated version of Mawarebytes and run a full scan. Nothing came up, but I still keep getting the warnings. It seems strange Malwarebytes can identify that something is trying to send information out, but not locate the file as malware. I'd like to remove it but unless I can identify what needs to be removed, I am stuck with it. I'll likely purchase a full version of of a malware program, but if malwarebytes can't locate this problem perhaps I should be looking at some other vendor. Any recommendations? If I do system restore, then I would lose all my files. I can back them up, but if they are infected and i reload them, then I'll run into the same problem. I''ll check into the Microsoft security essentials.

Thanks for the information Claude and Hans.

capri

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Is VMWare Zimbra listed in the Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows 7) control panel? If so, you could remove it from there unless you need it to connect to your work e-mail.
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Doing a System Restore doesn't remove your data file, it just restores you computer to an earlier stage.

If MSE doesn't do the trick then, if you haven't installed any new software, and if Hans' suggestion comes up blank, I'd go for a System Restore.

As for other suggested programs:

See what winpatrol reports.
Try spybot search & destroy .

Good luck!
Cheers, Claude.