ShadowProtect Restore to new disk?

Teunis
3StarLounger

ShadowProtect Restore to new disk?

Post by Teunis »

My single internal HD went bad, so I bought a new empty (non-formatted/partitioned) one. Acronis TI can restore an image to such a disk. Executing Add (New) Disk first from the TI bootable media allows you to partition and format the new disk to which the image has to be restored.

My question is can ShadowProtect do this also, and if so how?

Regards, Teunis

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: ShadowProtect Restore to new disk?

Post by BobArch2 »

Teunis wrote:My question is can ShadowProtect do this also, and if so how?

Regards, Teunis
Yes, ShadowProtect can restore to a like or different hardware environment.

For a non-system disk, the restore can be run from the Windows installed product. To restore to a system disk you use the Recovery CD.

The best way to provide details to your "how" question is to provide you with this link to the ShadowProtect User Guide.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Bob

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Bob,

My problem is not so much restoring to a new hardware (but formatted HD!) environment, but to a new (empty, non-partitioned/non-formatted) disk. In Acronis TI I could partition/format a new disk from the recovery environment (bootable media). My question is merely how to do it in the ShadowProtect recovery environment. Partitioning or formatting a new, empty disk is nowhere mentioned in the manuals.

Regards, Teunis

BobL
StarLounger

Post by BobL »

Hi Teunis,
I have never restored to a 'blank unformatted' disc, but having Shadowprotect and having restored my primary C: drive a multitude of times, I would suspect that the 'Recovery Wizard' would simply format your disc to the image size and continue to lay your image onto the blank disc. I do now that you have an opportunity to expand or shrink the disc size that the recover wizard defines for you.
Hope this helps,
BobL
The Other Bob from Maine

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Teunis wrote:Bob,

My problem is not so much restoring to a new hardware (but formatted HD!) environment, but to a new (empty, non-partitioned/non-formatted) disk...
Hi Teunis,

I, like BobL, have never restored to a blank/unformatted HD. So, I did some research on the ShadowProtect Community web site and found articles that indicate that a reformat is not necessary in that SP will restore appropriately. I have included some links below that you may wish to read to provide more insight as to what action should be taken.

Community Forum searching for "restore" tags
Replacing System Drive
Bare Metal Recovery to new or different drive
Bare Metal Restore
Restoring a full image
Knowledge Base - using HIR This one has a link for downloading an informative PDF file.

And yes, the existing documentation can be silent about some of the needed actions which does not make it easy to understand the process.

One interesting comment that I found concerned possible licensing issues with Windows. Namely, if you have (had) an OEM version of Windows on the trashed drive, there might be an issue when you get the new system up and running. There was a suggestion that because of the hardware change, the OEM version might not want to be activated in the new environment. All of my O/Ses are full retail and so, I have not come across the activation issue.

If nothing else... good luck and keep us posted.
Regards,
Bob

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Bob,

Thank you very much for this information. Notably the link in the "Knowledge Base - using HIR" provided an example to restore to unallocated and non-formatted disk space - as is the case with a new disk.

Regards, Teunis

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Teunis, I was only surprised that you bought a disk that IS unformatted. I've bought a number of them in recent years, both internal and USB, and they've all been pre-formatted with the NTFS format.

Glad you're getting on OK with it... Happy New Year.

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Happy New Year to you too.

I was told by the computerstore MyCom that new disks are all empty these days. At least my Seagate 500 GB Barracuda SATA 7200 was.

Regards, Teunis