Annoying Outpost Firewall popup

Cah
3StarLounger

Annoying Outpost Firewall popup

Post by Cah »

Recently I've been getting strange popups from Outpost usually sprung by running a homemade exe file (a compiled autohotkey script). It asks me whether I should allow a proxybypass:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3990507...\Currentversion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\ProxyBypass
I've used a disk image and gone back in time but am still getting the popups - I think Outpost is updating its rules and this is what is causing the popups to start but I wonder if they indicate anything sinister. I've checked with antimalwarebytes and Nod32 and both report my system free from infection. I run as a regular user and only go online with my admin account when updating Windows. I did a search online but didn't find anything that explained what is happening to my satisfaction. Has anyone else ever seen messages about ProxyBypass? Any way to stop them occurring? Thanks.

Chris

Jim Cone
StarLounger

Re: Annoying Outpost Firewall popup

Post by Jim Cone »

An Outpost forum is probably the best place to get help.
For what it is worth...
"Outpost Firewall has been criticized by some end users for being confusing or difficult to use,
possibly because of its features targeted on advanced PC users.
Outpost can generate a large number of security alerts,
which some experts believe will lead to an inexperienced end user habitually dismissing all alerts, even important ones."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outpost_firewall

'---
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(free and commercial excel programs)

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Chris,
I use Outpost Pro on both my pc's. Before using the file in question, right click OP icon in the taskbar and set it to 'Rules Wizard' repeat and select 'Enter Auto Learn Mode'. for 1 hour.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks, I have Outpost set to "Rules Wizard" - if I select Enter Auto Learn mode won't this possibly grant extra rights that shouldn't be granted? The applications in question shouldn't be using proxybypass and shouldn't be triggering an alert. Have you ever seen a ProxyBypass popup? What does Outpost mean when it triggers this?

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Cah wrote:Thanks, I have Outpost set to "Rules Wizard" - if I select Enter Auto Learn mode won't this possibly grant extra rights that shouldn't be granted? The applications in question shouldn't be using proxybypass and shouldn't be triggering an alert. Have you ever seen a ProxyBypass popup? What does Outpost mean when it triggers this?
None of the programs I use need a ProxyByPass nor have I seen any. If you did as I suggested, OP will learn & remember the rules for your program. My OP's run in 'Block Most' mode.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.