Cookies keep changing name - can't delete

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Cookies keep changing name - can't delete

Post by Leesha »

Hi,

My antivirus keeps telling me that I have a virus and that its been eliminated, yet if I run the full scan back to back (I've done this 4 times) it comes up with 12-15 files that are infected. When I look at the detail report it shows that they are in my cookies folder and are spyware. When I go to delete, I can delete all but 1. The last one doesn't delete because each time I click on it to delete it it changes its name so then I get the message that the file I was trying doesn't exisit. I tried to see if anything was locking the file but am told nothing is. I can't delete it from that software either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Leesha

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Cookies keep changing name - can't delete

Post by JoeP »

Don't worry about cookies. If you really have a virus it is much more important to fix that. What is the exact message from your A/V?

Joe
Joe

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

It just shows that there are infected files in the cookies folder. I'd have to run it again get the specific info again as its "cloud" based and I don't have access to the files the way I did with NOD32. The software is called Endpoint Security Permanet Protection.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Have you tried running MSE?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

I use MSE at home on my personal computer. This is work environment and I'm told surpasses the MSE license limits.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Leesha wrote:I use MSE at home on my personal computer. This is work environment and I'm told surpasses the MSE license limits.
If your work environment allows you, download UNLOCKER ( free ) to try to delete it.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Trying to stay below Tech Support's radar, are we? :innocent:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

I already tried unlocker and the message that comes back is that nothing is locking the file. Can't delete it either from the program.

And no, I'm not trying to stay below Tech Support's radar.................I am tech support lOL!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Infected with what? Does it show something other than cookies? Cookies are text files. Often anti-spyware applications call cookies "tracking cookies" and recommend you delete them. Some are a little more discerning and try to identify only third party cookies from advertising sites. In any event, they are still only text files. You are going to get all kinds of cookies saved on your system just by using a browser. One drawback of deleting all cookies is websites losing your identity and having to login again or a website not "knowing" you visited before. Some don't mind that. I like these attempts at personalization even though still rather primitive.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Leesha wrote:I already tried unlocker and the message that comes back is that nothing is locking the file. Can't delete it either from the program.

And no, I'm not trying to stay below Tech Support's radar.................I am tech support lOL!
I thought you might be and would thus get a tickle from the post. :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)