Which Server suites?

adam
SilverLounger

Which Server suites?

Post by adam »

Hi anyone,

I'm trying to install a server for my office. At present I'm having 6 computers. But I'm having plans to increase them to 10 or 15 in the nearby future.

Having this situation what kind of server should my office suite to back up data?

Any help on this would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Adam

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Which Server suites?

Post by StuartR »

Adam,

What software do you plan to run on the server? How much storage space do you need the server to support?

Almost any server will do fine for what you have described so far.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You might want to consider a cloud based solution depending on what your objectives are. Check out Office 365. If you choose to go with Office 365 I recommend you strongly consider one of the "enterprise" plans. IMO, too many restrictions in the "small business" plans.

Joe
Joe

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Thanks for the help.
Best Regards,
Adam

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Will you be running Linux (I think they're up to Dopey Doormouse or Frenetic Ferret...) or one of the Windows Server operating systems?

At work I have a couple of backup methods for SBS 2008 (two servers).

a) everything that moves (user data, Exchange PSTs, and so on) is backed up to a NAS box using BackupAssist. These backups include daily Image Restore files for each server's C: drive (user data, Exchange data, etc, are on the D: drive).

b) on a day-of-the-month basis, I use RoboCopy to copy all the changed user data to an 850 GB Truecrypt container on a partition on each of five of the newer PCs with 1TB hard disks, to the first on Monday morning at 05:00, the second on Tuesday morning at 05:00, and so on. I keep five copies of the data on each PC, the "Monday PC" holding data for the first Monday of the month, second Monday of the month ... fifth Monday of the month. I think you can work out what happens on the "Tuesday PC", and so on! This enables me to restore back quite easily to the server files from up to a month back, and perhaps longer. [Other less involved schemes are readily possible, and will depend on how much disk space you can allow.}
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...