Grisoft AVG 2012

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Grisoft AVG 2012

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am installing this after uninstalling the dreaded hog MSMPENG.EXE or whatever its mother named it.

I note that there are two modes for installation of AVG2012: Basic and Advanced (or something, two modes anyway)

I chose Advanced and saw check boxes for a toolbar and something else that I didn't want. The default values were checked ON to install.
I checked 'em OFF.

My guess is that Basic installation renders those options as defaults.

I can't findThanks to BigAl I've found the thread(sometime in the past 2 months) in which we complained about unwanted ASK toolbars and the like.
I'd link to it if someone knows where it is.
It seems to me that perhaps choosing a BASIC installation of something all too often means "Do with me what you will".

Here's a thread about MSMPENG.EXE
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 01 Sep 2011, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Grisoft AVG 2012

Post by Bigaldoc »

I think this is the "toolbar" thread you mention: Toolbars ... Gggrrr...

My only "problem" with MSE is at boot time, which for me is usually only once each week, after I do my chkdsk and other housekeeping stuff.

Once in awhile, I've opened the Task Manager window and highlighted the MSE program and watched it until boredom sets in. It never jumps to the top at all and only periodically jumps up to a minimal number and immediately back to zero.

As I mentioned I may have a hard drive getting ready to crap out and that could be the cause of a few things I see happening.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

I have been completely satisfied with MSE. As BigAl states it rarely shows up as using resources at all. I feel very comfortable with the security it offers in my multi layered security approach (AV/AM, S/W firewall, hardware firewall). What more could I ask for.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

tedshemyers wrote:it rarely shows up as using resources at all
If you have a lowly machine, which I suspect you don't :grin: , then in my experience MSE is too heavy footed and thus it does act like a dead weight.

Ken
Last edited by StuartR on 02 Sep 2011, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To fix broken link to post 58794

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:If you have a lowly machine, which I suspect you don't
Hi Ken, I know your comment was addressed else where, but ...
Mine is a 2GB 2Ghz notebook.

I think it's not so much that MSPMENG.EXE hogs so much CPU, as that it does it when it didn't ought to.

I currently have a "Quick Scan" set for 2am each morning.
It ought to be complete before I reboot around 6 a.m.

Sometimes MSPMENG.EXE can be seen running furiously anytime between 9am and 5pm.
I know it because everything goes sluggish, and when I pop up Task Manager, there's MSPMENG.EXE trying to hide.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I'll just contribute my two penn'orth to say that I'm quite happy with MSE. I've had it a while (on my Vista laptop) and it's found a few things in the past.

People have noted that it's a little slow to get into its stride on a first boot but I haven't noticed this particularly. Perhaps you have a conflict with other software or your firewall :scratch:

I've used AVG in the past but it was "huge"! I'm also happy with Avira which I have on a netbook - I find it very "discreet". Andy.

Edited to add an apostrophe (how sad am I..)
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:I'll just contribute my two penn'orth ..
Worth $$$ to me, Andy.

$$$!

I am feeling slightly more stupid than usual.
I have "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" installed, and run a complete scan every 3 to 5 days, manually.
I got rid of AVG and ZoneAlarm and installed Microsoft Security Essentials when this Compaq Presario 2GB/2GHx notebook arrived late last year.
Things went sluggish, so I unloaded MSE and loaded Grisoft. Things went sluggish, so I unloaded Grisoft and loaded MSE. (repeat on a monthly basis until 15 minutes ago ...)

I saw the note about Avir5a.
Downloaded the free edition.
Unistalled MSE (flavour-of-the-day)
Went to install Avira, and Avira said "You've got Windows defender installed"
1.png
I didn't know that.
Yet I've seen discussion about Windows Defender in The Lounge.

When/Where did it sneak in?
Perhaps that's why my system has been so molasses-like.
If Windows Defender has been in competition with Grisoft/MSE ....?

I have disabled WD through the options and will continue to install Avira.

Let's see how my system runs with ONLY Avira.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Defender is an integral part of Windows 7. It should be disabled automatically, without any manual intervention, when you install another anti-virus program, and automatically be enabled again when you uninstall that other program. This is Microsoft's way of ensuring that you're never entirely unprotected.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... This is Microsoft's way of ensuring that you're never entirely unprotected.
Thanks for this, Hans.
I didn't know that.
A commendable effort on MSoft's part, but I'm prepared to swear that this is the first time I've had any pop-up or mention of Windows defender, and I've installed/uninstalled MSE and Grisoft at least twice each.
I see your "should"; by my reckoning I should have seen some sort of caution 4 times since January this year ...

I am rapidly coming around to the view that there is something wrong with this (Compaq Presario) machine's software set up, and I don't know how much of it is due to the pre-installed system, replete with a suite of HP software.

The time is nigh when I buy myself a nice shiny CD and make a clean install, as I so like to do.