two programs that suddenly appeared

tomyrush
2StarLounger

two programs that suddenly appeared

Post by tomyrush »

After last Tuesday's "patch day" I noticed some changes in my system and started looking deeper
Prior to this last Patch Tuesday, I had a clipboard icon in my hidden icons on the icon tray that shows what is running.
this icon allowed access to up to the last 24 copy objects on the system, along with the ability to clear all of the copy objects.

This icon disappeared after last Patch Tuesday Trying to research this, I went to the All Programs display and I had a new program "Windows PowerShell V1.0 (for .NET Framework 2.0 RTM) Release Notes
opyright (c)2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." I am sure this showed up with this last Patch Tuesday's work. It appears to be a command language shell for windows server. I don't have windows server installed - to my knowledge.

Would that have anything to do with loosing the "copy clipboard" icon?

As I went through All Programs display, I noticed another program I don't recognize.
"Office Tab"
mail 758237@qq.com
http://hi.baidu.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the date that shows in properties is Oct 18, 2009.

I have no idea what this program is, it appears to be some tab operator for excel, word, and power point

Is anyone familiar with these two programs-windows power shell, and office tab?

I run Malwarebytes Anti Malware, AVG 9.0, and Zone Alarm and none of these tools have squawked about these programs

This may not be anything, but I am really curious

Tom

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: two programs that suddenly appeared

Post by JoeP »

Powershell is a fairly scripting environment from Microsoft. It is not just a server tool. More and more Microsoft products are using Powershell as an administration tool. You can see more than you probably want to know at Scripting with Windows PowerShell.

"Office Tabs" appears to be an addon from China. See Ya,I Yee: OfficeTab - add tabs to Microsoft Office for more information. I'd remove this but that is your decision.

Joe
Joe

Amelia43
StarLounger

Re: two programs that suddenly appeared

Post by Amelia43 »

Not sure how Office Tabs appeared so mysteriously on your machine! It is one program I chose to download after reading about it on another forum. It allows me to have many Word, PowerPoint or Excel documents open simultaneously and to work smoothly between them when the need arises.