Webcheck

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Webcheck

Post by Gloria E »

I have something I found using Win Patrol 2011 Plus. In the Start Programs tab I see: Webcheck. It has no command or company listed. It also lacks the usual .dll or .exe after it's name, it's just Webcheck. Under type is the words: Delayload. Using WinPatrol's info button I read "The company info should say Microsoft. If not use the provided link to see if you may have MyDoom running on your system. The company was Trend Micro and a free tool named HouseCall 7.1.

I'm running Webroot Internet Security Essentials (which I purchased). It never finds anything except cookies. It's supposed to be a Firewall plus Antivirus program. I'm far from upset that it only finds cookies, that's a good thing but I would like to run something else to double check (like getting a second opinion).

I would like to know if I can safely run House Call together with Webroot (one at a time, of course). The fact that Webcheck offers no other information about it's company or any thing else has made me suspicious.

I need information about Webcheck also, is it legtimate or something worse?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Webcheck

Post by HansV »

There is no objection against running a scan with a utility such as HouseCall. What you should avoid - but you know that already - is having two software firewalls running at the same time, or the realtime component of two antivirus programs running at the same time.

A Google search for webcheck turns up several possibilities - impossible to say which one is present on your PC.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Sorry Hans for the delay in replying, a very dear friend of mine died on Wed. the Memorial service was Friday and I was busy helping with the arrangements.

I'm glad to know that I can install HouseCall. I'll have to see if it has to run at start up or all the time. If I can run it on command, I'll install it.

Thank you for the information.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Please accept my condolences, Gloria. I wish you strength.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Thank you Hans. It hit me kind of hard because he and I were friends for thirty years. I had just been with him about a month ago and he was fine (at least he said he was). When I lived in the condo in Cinnaminson he had one right down the street. His wife and I were also very close, but I knew him before I met her.