New AVIRA User Question

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: New AVIRA User Question

Post by JoeP »

Yes. MSE does not like remote control software and some of the Nirsoft programs.

Check under settings. You can add the NirSoft folder to "Excluded files and locations". You could also add the remote control software if you wish.

This part is just from memory as I don't have an MSE system handy - uncheck the "Apply recommended actions...." under Settings | Default Actions. Then on the History tab you should be able to take whatever action you wish for any detected items.

Joe

Joe
Joe

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I stand corrected. I refrained from manually updating the MSE virus signatures and I now see that MSE did indeed update itself at least once a day. Thanks.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

JoeP wrote:Yes. MSE does not like remote control software and some of the Nirsoft programs.

Check under settings. You can add the NirSoft folder to "Excluded files and locations". You could also add the remote control software if you wish.

This part is just from memory as I don't have an MSE system handy - uncheck the "Apply recommended actions...." under Settings | Default Actions. Then on the History tab you should be able to take whatever action you wish for any detected items.
Thanks Joe. I noticed right after I made my last post that in the History tab, if you click on Quarantined's radio button, there are some options at the bottom of the screen, so I've restored the Nirsoft program. The tick boxes aren't there unless you select Quarantined items only.

I will also add their URL to the exceptions. All a part of the learning process I guess...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

PaulB wrote:I stand corrected. I refrained from manually updating the MSE virus signatures and I now see that MSE did indeed update itself at least once a day. Thanks.
Me too, Paul. I installed MSE on Monday and for these past three nights, it seems to update on MY machine in the early evening hours according to the Update tab. If I visit the MS Protection Center NOW, there will probably be listed a new definitions file, but that's OK as long as it looks at MY machine at the end of this day, I'm satisfied, especially in light of Joe's suggested reading.

I've schedule a once per week FULL SCAN on Saturday morning at 3 am since I don't have backup running at that time on a Saturday. I did a full scan once already as mentioned in a previous post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Al, I hope MSE works out as well for you as it has for me over the last year or two. Now that I know MSE updates itself automatically, I feel even better about it.

I have not noticed any impact at all on performance due to MSE. What has been your experience with it so far?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

It's "only" been three days, but I don't even know it's there, so far. :crossfingers:

Funny thing is, I'm so inexperienced with having problems in this area, I always thought because I've had good protection, that I'm a bit unsure what one is supposed to "do" with the stuff that gets quarantined. Except for restoring that one program from Nirsoft and putting in an exception for their URL, I've left the stuff in quarantine that's there.

I have my settings to remove stuff from Q. after three months. I don't know what most people do.