New AVIRA User Question

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

New AVIRA User Question

Post by Bigaldoc »

Having made the switch to Avira after my problem with Avast, I have a computer startup question.

When I boot the computer, there are a number of things that show up in my tray before Avira does, some of which require web access. When Avira does shows its icon, the "umbrella" is closed for quite some time which I take to mean it's not yet "active."

Is it true that I have NO protection during this short period of time? If so, I'll have to live with it I suppose but my curiosity is piqued. On the other hand, it could be that nothing has access to the web until that umbrella pops open, I just don't know.

HansV
Administrator

Re: New AVIRA User Question

Post by HansV »

You can set Avira to start early in the boot sequence (slowing down startup a bit, of course):
Open a command prompt window.
Type

CD "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop"

Press Enter.
Type

avconfig /wizard

Press Enter.
The option should be somewhere in there.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Without knowing the details of how Avira initializes there is no way to say for sure about when its protection is actually initiated. For some A/V apps, the tray icon just manages the UI and is really separate from the part of the app that does the real work.

Also, with Windows 7 there is part of the Windows firewall that runs druing the boot process so the PC is protected. I think that lasts until the third party firewall notifies Windows that it is ready to take over.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

HansV wrote:You can set Avira to start early in the boot sequence (slowing down startup a bit, of course)...
Don't know where you found that Hans or why I can't find such a screen in the GUI configuration screens ANYWHERE!!! This is my "test period" with Avira and so far I'm not very impressed and wouldn't be too inclined at this point to PAY for their premium product.

This IS the screen I came to, using your command prompt method, so I'll see what happens after my image backup finishes and I reboot the computer...

Much as I didn't like it when it first came out, I might have to reconsider MSE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Hi Al. What was it about MSE that you did not like?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

When I tried it the darn thing never did UPDATE itself. Every day I had to force an update 'cause it clearly said there was newer info but had NOT updated on its own. I just didn't feel comfortable that I was being protected.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I'm afraid that the MSE virus signature update issue still exists. It sometimes updates itself automatically, but what triggers it baffles me. I mostly update it manually periodically throughout the day... it's automatic for me now. Maybe that's what MS means when they claim it is automatically updated.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hmm - I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials since I got Windows 7 a year and a half ago (January 2010). MSE updates itself faithfully once or twice every day. Very occasionally a definition update fails - the last time was a year ago, in July of 2010! :shrug:
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Do you have Windows Update set to automatically download and install?
Regards,
Paul

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

MSE uses the Windows Update infrastructure but not the Windows Update settings. As long as the Windows Update service and those it depends on are not disabled MSE should update itself.

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

PaulB wrote:Do you have Windows Update set to automatically download and install?
See Joe's reply. But yes, I have Windows Update set to download and install automatically.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

For both Joe and Hans:

I have to be honest and admit that when last I tried MSE I don't remember what condition or state my Windows Update situation was! With that admission out of the way, about six months ago, I set both XP and Win 7 for "Automatic" as Hans has indicated. So, one would think this might be a good time for me to try MSE again. This graphic should confirm that I'm good to go.

But I have a followup or parallel question. I went to My Computer, Manage and SERVICES and have no idea WHERE in that list is (are) the services that Joe was alluding to, i.e. those it depends on. Joe, can you give me any clues, please?

I'm seriously considering removal of Avira and again trying MSE but it won't be today 'cause there a BIG GAME at 2:45 pm MY time that I wouldn't miss for anything and I prefer the streaming version to TV:

• USA - JAPAN for the Women's World Cup Championship !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When I run Services.msc, the Windows Update service is named just that - Windows Update - and it is listed as Started and Automatic.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

You're in Win 7, right?

My example (still my main OS) is XP and it doesn't show such an entry. I found a page on the web that says auto updates is in the infamous "svchost.exe"

Thanks Hans, I don't think it's worth any further worry and I am gonna give MSE a try. I saw this on the above page:

• Automatic Updates
      wuaUserv svchost.exe -k wugroup
      Enable the download and installation of critical Windows updates.
      Automatic.
      If the service is stopped, the operating system can be manually
      updated at the Windows Update Web site.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, I'm using Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Hmm... Windows 7 HP x64, Windows Update service Started, Automatic (Delayed Start)... still no regular MSE updates.
Regards,
Paul

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Probably should start a new thread with this...

I just removed Avira and installed MSE for another run. It took quite some time for its "quick scan" so I'll have to see if it updates itself tomorrow.

I would do a full scan now but not knowing how long that takes, I don't want to screw up my 3 am backup images. Mebbe tomorrow morning I'll start a full scan and see what happens. It sez I'm "protected."

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Normally, MSE checks for updates every 24 hours. See MSE definition update FAQ for a more detailed discussion.

Here's another thread talking about update frequency - Scheduled Definition Update. I'd urge you to read it, particularly post #4 and the last post both by Rob Koch, before passing judgement on MSE's update frequency.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I changed my mind, thinking that there should be enough time I started a full scan as I went on to bed. It DID complete well before my 3 am backup.

Interesting to find among the items it didn't like some software, not installed but residing in my downloaded software storage directory. I used to use, but no longer do, RealVNC, UltraVNC and TightVNC at various times. MSE doesn't like remote control software, so it quarantined all three. Some time ago I also downloaded (from Nirsoft) a program called PasswordFox but never got around to installing it either. MSE doesn't like that one either.

It says I can choose the "Allow" action if I want but I'm not sure yet how to do that. The only place that shows that is the Settings page and I don't know how to allow only ONE of the items. Still learning.

And it did get the latest definitions so I'll be watching that one in coming days.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

JoeP wrote:... I'd urge you to read it, particularly post #4 and the last post both by Rob Koch ...
I did just that, Joe, and thanks - it's very informative!