AVG scans take different times

silverback
5StarLounger

AVG scans take different times

Post by silverback »

Can any lounger help with this?
I use AVG free edition 2011. I have a regular daily scan set up and AVG starts up and scans OK; the scan runs to completion.
Looking in the log files I have the following data extracts for files scanned and time taken.
719262 files : 19 minutes 17 seconds
719446 files : 23 minutes 24 seconds
710026 files : 4 minutes 54 seconds

Looking through the whole log file history, it appears that when the number of files is in the 719000 region, the scan takes in the order of 20 minutes. When it's in the 710000 region, it takes in the order of 4 minutes.
This reduction in files checkedoccurs approximately every three days.

It would seem that it's the files between 710000 and 719000 which cause the big difference in time, but why the big change in the number of files checked? I'm certainly not aware of deleting 9000 files every couple of days or so!
Any ideas?
Thanks
Silverback

StuartR
Administrator

Re: AVG scans take different times

Post by StuartR »

Do you have any removable drives that are connected on some days but not others?
StuartR

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Stuart
No - just the hard drive.
Silverback

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you have System Restore configured, the PC could've deleted a restore point and not yet have created another by the time the scan in done.

Joe
Joe

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Joe
Thanks for that. I am sure you are correct. Sorry for the delay in replying, but following your reply, I've been conducting an experiment.

On receipt of your posting, I switched off System Restore; this (of course) stopped further ones being created and deleted all the old ones. This reduced the number of files being checked to about 705000 each day for three days. I then posted another query about temporary files (in Windows General forum) and ended up running CCleaner. This eliminated a lot of temporary files (huh - I thought temporary meant they got deleted when the application that created them had finished with them!) with the result that AVG is now checking approx. 690000 files and is taking about three and a half minutes.

I'm going to switch System Restore back on, now, and not worry about why AVG takes differing amounts of time running its scans.

Thanks for your interest and help
Silverback