Acronis TI 11 Home

Teunis
3StarLounger

Acronis TI 11 Home

Post by Teunis »

Is it possible to "tell" TI 11 Home to retain e.g. at least 3 full backups? If, so how?
(In TI 2010 it is just a setting, but how to do it in the previous version TI 11?)

Regards, Teunis

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Acronis TI 11 Home

Post by viking33 »

Teunis wrote:Is it possible to "tell" TI 11 Home to retain e.g. at least 3 full backups? If, so how?
(In TI 2010 it is just a setting, but how to do it in the previous version TI 11?)

Regards, Teunis
I don't know if I'm reading you right but if you are creating an image, you can just rename it differently than the last one?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

What I mean is - in the case of scheduled (full) backups where the destination can be full - to automatically delete previous becakups such that a fixed number of backups (e.g. 3 or 5) are always kept (retained in Acronis parlance)in order to keep enough space on the destination.

In TI 2010 you can set this as a special backup option. My question is: can one do something similar in TI 10, preferably as pre-backup command if it is not built-in. If it can only be done using an pre-backup command, what should it be such that the oldest backup(s) are deleted? What are the 3 portions of the pre-backup (see my earlier post on post-backup computer shutdown with TI 10).

Regards, Teunis

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Teunis wrote:What I mean is - in the case of scheduled (full) backups where the destination can be full - to automatically delete previous becakups such that a fixed number of backups (e.g. 3 or 5) are always kept (retained in Acronis parlance)in order to keep enough space on the destination.

In TI 2010 you can set this as a special backup option. My question is: can one do something similar in TI 10, preferably as pre-backup command if it is not built-in. If it can only be done using an pre-backup command, what should it be such that the oldest backup(s) are deleted? What are the 3 portions of the pre-backup (see my earlier post on post-backup computer shutdown with TI 10).

Regards, Teunis
Teunis,
Sorry, I still use TI 2010 where, as you say, you can set it to overwrite or delete the older backup image. I can't see why Acronis would change this option. More likely changed the location where you can set it in the other version.
Probably the best bet would be to contact Acronis support and ask them direct.
BOB

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I made a small mistake, I meant TI v10 (=TI 2008, they started renumbering by year in 2010), not TI 2011. So they (probably) do not change it in TI 2011.
But the conclusion is the same. I'll now use the free utility Autoclose and set it to close down the computer at a preset day and time, well after my scheduled backup should have finished.

Regards, Teunis

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

viking33 wrote:...I still use TI 2010 where, as you say, you can set it to overwrite or delete the older backup image. I can't see why Acronis would change this option...
I can confirm that this option is still available in True Image 2011, but I am pretty sure that it wasn't available in True Image 10 or True Image 11.
StuartR

Teunis
3StarLounger

Re: Acronis TI v11 Home

Post by Teunis »

Bob, Stuart,

I checked the faqs at Acronis, and the proper post-backup procedure seems to be:

Here is step-by-step instruction how to use the Pre/Post commands option to automatically shutdown computer after backup:

* Run the Schedule Task wizard;
* At the Backup Options step choose Pre/Post commands;
* Choose the Use Custom Commands;
* Hit the Edit button next to the After the backup process field;
* Put in the Post command as specified below:
Command: shutdown
Working directory: C:\Windows\System32\
Arguments: -s
This command will automatically shut down the computer after the completion of backup process.

Regards, Teunis

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Teunis wrote:Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I made a small mistake, I meant TI v10 (=TI 2008, they started renumbering by year in 2010), not TI 2011. So they (probably) do not change it in TI 2011.
But the conclusion is the same. I'll now use the free utility Autoclose and set it to close down the computer at a preset day and time, well after my scheduled backup should have finished.

Regards, Teunis
Thanks for clarifying that. I've been using TI since about 2003 or 2004
( I think ) and there was some confusion in their renumbering scheme.
( there was some confusion in Acronis itself around then! )
They have since cleaned up their act and I continue to use it, despite my brief disastrous venture into Shadow Protect, when I did a massive hardware upgrade a year or so ago.
BOB