Internet protection software for children

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Internet protection software for children

Post by John Gray »

Can anyone recommend from personal experience 'parental control' software for fairly young children (younger than 10) which is easy to configure, causes no other problems on the computer, and (if possible) is free?

Most costive Internet Security Suites contain this feature, and there's always Net Nanny, or even OpenDNS can restrict websites visited. K9 is free.

Comments on these or any other sensible methods would be appreciated!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Internet protection software for children

Post by jonwallace »

First, have you seen this?

As far as I can remember, most "nanny" software is a bit intrusive (disclaimer - it's been years since I tried any out, the security and user login model of modern versions of Windows probably negate my experience), but using the hosts file from this site can stop nasties quite nicely.

Good luck with this.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, John - Dilbert is as accurate as usual. The problem with changing the HOSTS file is that it's a bit of a blunt instrument and it needs to be updated manually. This is for a not-particularly-net-savvy family, so maybe a (semi-)global denial of service might be adequate!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have used OpenDNS for this, but I only set it to filter out the most offensive of material.
  • Advantages
    • I configured OpenDNS on the router, so it worked for every PC in the house
    • It kept a log of sites visited which I could review to see if I needed to be more restrictive
  • Disadvantages
    • A technically savvy person could override it by changing the DNS settings on the local computer
    • It doesn't work at all with my new BT router which has dynamic DNS and no facility to direct IP address updates to the OpenDNS servers
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Stuart has suggested OpenDNS in the past.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks Stuart/Ken. I remember that this family has a fairly new BT Home Hub - is that what you are referring to? If so, then the OpenDNS route won't work, it seems...
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Stuart has BT's new Fibre to the Kerb service.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

John Gray wrote:...I remember that this family has a fairly new BT Home Hub - is that what you are referring to? If so, then the OpenDNS route won't work, it seems...
John,

If they only have one or two PCs then they can configure each PC to use OpenDNS, instead of using the DNS server on the BT Home Hub, but let's wait to see if anyone else has a recommendation before worrying about it.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

John,

Here's a review that mentions several other free products in addition to Windows Live Family Safety 2011.

Joe
Joe