Copying files from Acronis to a new computer

jmt356
SilverLounger

Copying files from Acronis to a new computer

Post by jmt356 »

After my computer crashed, I ahve been copying all of the files from my Acronis backup to a new laptop. But I find often that when I select folders to copy, Windows Explorer is not copying all of the contents of all of the folders. This si quite annoying because I have to sometimes go through many different folders to assure that every single file was copied through.

I think part of the problem is that some of the file names, when coupled with their addresses on my old laptop, are too long for my current system running Windows 7. Is there any way aroudn this or do I have to shorten the names of the folders and files?

Regards,

JMT
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Copying files from Acronis to a new computer

Post by jmt356 »

Does anyone know anything about this? I was considering contacting Acronis support about this, but from experience in the past during my 2008 computer failure, they generally don't know much and give wrong information.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Also, I am very surprised that Windows 7 supports shorter file paths than Vista did. I would think that in an upgrade, users would be given mroe freedoms and flexibility, not less. I am forced to have to rename many of my files or they don't copy.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Have you tried restoring the backup using Acronis' restore option, instead of using Windows explorer?
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:Have you tried restoring the backup using Acronis' restore option, instead of using Windows explorer?
That certainly would be the method I would use when using an Acronis backup.
Are you making a drive IMAGE not just backing up some files?
What version of Acronis are you using?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Bob, he said in Did I destroy my Acronis backup? that he's using Acronis version 11.0, build 8,101.

And, I wanted to ask earlier in the thread, since I haven't used Acronis for a long time, can't one restore SELECTED files using Acronis as I can using Shadow Protect?

If he's not interested in a full restore, selective restore would be nice.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Bob, he said in Did I destroy my Acronis backup? that he's using Acronis version 11.0, build 8,101.

And, I wanted to ask earlier in the thread, since I haven't used Acronis for a long time, can't one restore SELECTED files using Acronis as I can using Shadow Protect?

If he's not interested in a full restore, selective restore would be nice.
Didn't see that one.
Yes, you can do just selected file restore from a full TI image. When you load Restore, it will ask if you want to do a full disk image restore or just a file(s) restore.
BOB

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

jmt356 wrote:After my computer crashed, I ahve been copying all of the files from my Acronis backup to a new laptop. But I find often that when I select folders to copy, Windows Explorer is not copying all of the contents of all of the folders. This si quite annoying because I have to sometimes go through many different folders to assure that every single file was copied through.
Are you mounting the image to do this ?? If you are, and you are restoring files from a Vista or XP system to a Win 7 system, it would be easier to backup just the folder containing the files you want (Favorites, Address Book, My Documents, etc) and then restoring that folder to the new system in the correct location. The file structure and locations differ enough from one OS to the other that you really can't restore a lot of the files straight from one system to the other.

If you are talking about files from a file structure you have created or one like iTunes creates, with lots of subfolders, it could be much more tedious. But why files in a tree structure would not transfer over when the main folder is moved is a mystery. :scratch:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Stuart: I didn’t try restoring the backup using Acronis’s restore option. I’m not really sure what that does; isn’t that for when you are restoring all of the files, including drivers, to the same computer? In this case, I am moving all of my documents to a new computer with a different OS.

Bob: I backed up all of my C and D drives. Does that mean I made drive images? I excluded neither temporary nor invisible folders nor any other files. Also, with the selective file(s) restore, can this be done to another computer or only to the one from which the backup was made? What’s the difference between doing this and copying from my Acronis backup to my new computer in Windows Explorer?

Doc Watson: I didn’t mount the image to do the restore. What benefit does that offer over copying from my Acronis backup to my new computer in Windows Explorer? Also, there is no more option of backing up select files from my old Vista laptop as it crashed. I can, however, go into my Acronis backup and select individual folders (My Documents, etc.) to move into the correct location on my new Windows 7 laptop, either through Windows Explorer or by mounting the image (or also by using the “Restore” option??).
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:Stuart: I didn’t try restoring the backup using Acronis’s restore option. I’m not really sure what that does; isn’t that for when you are restoring all of the files, including drivers, to the same computer? In this case, I am moving all of my documents to a new computer with a different OS.

Bob: I backed up all of my C and D drives. Does that mean I made drive images? I excluded neither temporary nor invisible folders nor any other files. Also, with the selective file(s) restore, can this be done to another computer or only to the one from which the backup was made? What’s the difference between doing this and copying from my Acronis backup to my new computer in Windows Explorer?

Doc Watson: I didn’t mount the image to do the restore. What benefit does that offer over copying from my Acronis backup to my new computer in Windows Explorer? Also, there is no more option of backing up select files from my old Vista laptop as it crashed. I can, however, go into my Acronis backup and select individual folders (My Documents, etc.) to move into the correct location on my new Windows 7 laptop, either through Windows Explorer or by mounting the image (or also by using the “Restore” option??).
Acronis TI 2011 has the capability to restore an image to new different hardware but you cannot restore an image to a system with a different OS. You can restore certain app data, after you reinstall the program itself on the new computer.
It sounds like you created an Image of your C and D drives but with the old OS, so the above applies.
With Acronis TI you can create two types of "backups."
1.Disk and Partition Backup. This is a complete sector by sector, bit by bit, dupe of your drive. When you restore this complete image, it wipes out your old partition and creates a new one, then restores the entire image that you created, as you created it.
2.File Back Up. You can backup data, emails, system state and app settings to the same OS.
BOB

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

viking33 wrote:...
1.Disk and Partition Backup. This is a complete sector by sector, bit by bit, dupe of your drive. When you restore this complete image, it wipes out your old partition and creates a new one, then restores the entire image that you created, as you created it...
You can also do a selective restore of just some files from this backup.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

After I get my laptop repaired, it will be returned to me as I got it from the factory, with all my installed programs, documents, etc., erased. Can I restore all of my files so that my laptop looks exactly the way it looked on my last incremental backup before the computer crashed?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jmt356 wrote:...Can I restore all of my files so that my laptop looks exactly the way it looked on my last incremental backup before the computer crashed?
Assuming that you have an image backup of every partition on every disk then you should be able to do this.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Which means that whatever caused the errors and crashing would be bakc on the computer after I get it back from the shop right? Which is why I should restore it to an earlier version a few weeks prior to the error messages so I don't copy them onto the newly repaired laptop?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Y e s
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jmt356 wrote:Which means that whatever caused the errors and crashing would be bakc on the computer after I get it back from the shop right? ...
You should make an image backup of the laptop as it is returned from the shop, before making ANY changes. This will let you try various different things and go back to the previous state if it all goes wrong.
StuartR