Performance impact of working off an image following multiple clones

jmt356
SilverLounger

Performance impact of working off an image following multiple clones

Post by jmt356 »

Suppose you have backup your disk after two years of use and then clone the image to a new disk. Then after two years on the new disk you back it up and clone the image to a third disk. Then a fourth disk. Two years later, you are working off an image that started eight years ago. Is there a disadvantage to this approach? At some point should you start with a fresh install of Windows and all your programs? Or can you indefinitely continue to backup and clone your disk each time you upgrade the disk or computer without any side effects? Does constantly cloning and restoring images end up hurting the laptop's performance?
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Performance impact of working off an image following multiple clones

Post by JoeP »

You may want to do some housekeeping. All of us tend to accumulate unneeded programs and data over time. Over time you will end up with a version of Windows that is no longer supported. You may also end up with hardware that is not compatible with the version of Windows you are cloning. Drivers for new hardware may not be available for your version of Windows. Restoring a clone or backup image just gets you back to a point in time. If restored to the same PC, the PC should perform the same as it did when the clone/backup was made barring any hardware malfunctions.

I have not done a clean install of Windows since the XP days. As long as I've had any particular PC, I've done upgrades and have gone through many versions of pre-release and field-release Windows successfully. I am careful about where I go on the Internet, what I install, and do perform regular housekeeping on my PCs. I also regularly do image backups as I can restore the image backup to dissimilar hardware if needed.
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Have you been using the same computer since the days of Windows XP? If not, what do you do when you get a new computer? Do you restore the back up of your old computer to your new computer? Or do you just use the native Windows that comes with a new computer and reinstall your programs?

I have been restoring images of my laptop for the last several years. But those images include upgraded versions of windows, because when I’m using a particular computer, I will usually install the latest upgrade to windows whenever it becomes available. So when I get a new computer I am restoring a clone that will generally have up-to-date software. But the clone will be based on an image that I started many many years ago. It’s just been updated over the years.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've been through several PCs since the XP days. On the PC to be replaced, I back up my data and portable apps to an external drive using File Explorer. I use the new PC as an opportunity to examine all my installed programs on the old PC and decide whether I want them on the new PC. I make sure that I have all the required product keys and any installation packages I need. Then I set up my new PC the way I want it. I use the version of Windows that is preinstalled and make sure it is up-to-date with patches. I make an image backup of the new PC. Then I copy all my data and portable apps to the new PC using File Explorer. Then I install all my other programs such as Office 365, etc. Last, I make another backup image of the PC before starting daily usage.

I do not use clones because several times I have gone to a different form factor on a new PC and did not want to take a chance on not having the correct drivers. Once I have a new PC running the way I want, I update Windows until the PC is replaced. That includes major version upgrades too.
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

For me the method you use is about a week of work as I have a lot of programs and custom settings. I have used StorageCraft ShadowProtect to achieve basically the same result in one day, and most of it is passive waiting for the backup and restore to run. I occasionally have 1 or 2 drivers that are off but it is usually much less work trying to hunt them down than starting from scratch on the new computer.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

It is not anywhere near a week for me. A day or so at the most. Unless you do some housekeeping on the new PC it is not the same result as mine. BUT, to each his own. If it works for you and you are satisfied that is fine.

Back to your original question about performance. If the PC where the clone was made performs well then a newer PC with similar or better specifications should perform as well or better.
Joe