Protecting system question

silverback
5StarLounger

Protecting system question

Post by silverback »

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but . . .
I use Aomei Backupper to save the Documents folder (which contains all the files I might want to recover) every month. It has occurred to me that I do not have any means of recreating the system if it gets corrupted. (had a nasty shock the other day when it looked like the disc was playing up, but it settled down eventually).
Does the option 'System Backup' (as shown in the photo) do the business or is there some Microsoft option I should use?
Thanks
Silverback
Aomei Question.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Protecting system question

Post by HansV »

Yes, a system backup should enable you to restore your system after a crash. See for example How to Create System Backup in Windows Easily
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Oh, wonderful.
That's clearly what I need.
Many thanks, again.
Silverback :chocciebar: :thankyou:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'm using AOMEI Backupper as well. I am also experimenting with Macrium Reflect. The latter creates an image file and can do incremental backups. My strategy has been to create an image once a week and do incremental backups daily. If I forget to do a daily backup, MR will increment since the last incremental backup; so, the incremental doesn't have to be done daily.

I'm posting this in hopes others will chime in and critique my approach. Their comments should be useful to SIlverback as well.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Bob
If you click on the arrow shown in the photo, Aomei offers an incremental backup.
I didn't know this, until your posting resulting in me experimenting!
Silverback
incremental.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

When considering a backup regime, think about how many files you add, change, or delete in a day. Is it worth spending the time to do incremental updates? Incremental updates can complicate the recovery process as you need to process each incremental update after doing a full recovery. How long do full updates take? Do you have multiple partitions such as having the OS and data split over partitions? If so, you can do full backups of each partition on a different schedule as your data probably changes more frequently than the OS.
Joe