Banking Security

RonH
SilverLounger

Banking Security

Post by RonH »

I read an article about banking security ... extract below. Is this feature of QR code used in other countries because it seems to be a very secure method of operation when one uses eg a pc as well as a smart phone

Bank customers are called and tricked into approving BankID logins on behalf of the fraudster ... scammers like to go after older people.
QR code did the trick in Sweden where they have almost eliminated the possibility of logging into a website only via a phone call.

A fraudster cannot sit and call a user to get them to enter codes and then log in, because parts of the system depend on a QR code which depends on your phone. You pick up the phone and scan the QR code on the PC, so that it is verified that the mobile and login screen (PC) are in the same location.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Banking Security

Post by StuartR »

I have seen this used by some apps, but not for banking. For example the messaging app on my phone uses this to set up synchronization with my PC web browser.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My bank uses fingerprint login on my phone. Even if I login on my PC, I still have to confirm it by fingerprint on my phone.

QR code + fingerprint are used for web purchases.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 08:15
My bank uses fingerprint login on my phone. Even if I login on my PC, I still have to confirm it by fingerprint on my phone.

QR code + fingerprint are used for web purchases.
My fingerprints are so worn out that they are very unreliable when used as identifiers :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

StuartR wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 08:13
I have seen this used by some apps, but not for banking. For example the messaging app on my phone uses this to set up synchronization with my PC web browser.
Same here eg using WhatsApp messaging
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.