Questions for Microsoft MVPs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Questions for Microsoft MVPs

Post by BobH »

While my first issue might be related to my browser (Firefox), I think it is a Microsoft issue. I have noticed that when I search and locate a subject and choose a Microsoft article, when I'm through reading the article and want to go back to my search engine app - which was replaced when I chose the MS web page, clicking the back arrow in the browser panel does nothing . . . it leaves me on the Microsoft web page. It's as if MS wants to force me to stay on their page. This just happened when I went to this MS page from a duckduckgo search result.

My second issue is that MS log ins do not allow me to paste a password but require that I enter them directly. I use Roboform to generate and store passwords. Being unable to copy and paste is a real pain.

Are these issues between me and MS, or do I have a different problem?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Questions for Microsoft MVPs

Post by HansV »

Why is this a question for Microsoft MVPs?

The problem with many Microsoft websites appears to be that they load multiple time in quick succession,so clicking the back arrow just takes you to a previous load.
As an alternative, right-click the back arrow and select the site you want to go back to from the drop-down list.

I have no idea about your second problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 22:34
My second issue is that MS log ins do not allow me to paste a password but require that I enter them directly. I use Roboform to generate and store passwords. Being unable to copy and paste is a real pain.
I think this is an intentional securty measure - I often come across this issue and it can be a pain.

See also Fail to paste password into credential dialog box - Windows Client | Microsoft Docs:
"Pasting the contents of the clipboard into a secure input box is intentionally blocked in Windows 10."
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use Roboform to log in to my Microsoft accounts and it works fine for me. Can you point me to an example page where you are unable to paste a password.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

YES, and a lot of banks do not allow pasting in passwords
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Thinking in general terms: A common way of stealing passwords is to post a fake login screen that looks just like the bank's (or other high-value target) and sending phishing emails with a link to that page. Then a bot can go to the real login page and paste in the stolen password -- unless the field blocks pasting. A high-volume scammer operation isn't going to have a human sitting at a keyboard to enter the password.

Like Stuart, I use Roboform to log in to my Microsoft accounts, and have no trouble.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you for the replies, Gentlemen!!

Hans, if I offended by addressing MVPs, please accept my apologies. My thinking was that you guys have better knowledge of things Microsoft than we mere peons. :hailpraise:

Stuart: I don't recall the url used when I last encountered this issue, but I will try to remember to post when next I do.
Last edited by BobH on 26 Jul 2022, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Bob, you didn't offend me. But although I am an MVP, I have no more insight into how Microsoft runs its websites than you do...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hans, I meant to put a smiley at the end of that sentence to show I meant it in jest.

But, while I'm posting on the subject of MS, has anyone ever suggested or mentioned what I might consider an improvement to the ribbon approach to menus as follows?

I no longer use MS Office apps nearly as much as I did before retiring, although I do use Word whenever I write, be it drivel or letters to the editor of my birdcage liner. I find that I cannot remember where various menus are located; therefore I cannot get to them without first doing a search online. I find that trying to get help using the built in help is too often very time consuming and sometimes futile. It occurred to me that instead of taking the user to the sort of lists and information one gets now, that a panel wherein one could enter a query and have ribbon navigation options returned.

For example, not knowing the navigation path to the option for word wrap or wrap text, having entered either phrase Word's help would return something like Layout > Arrange > wrap text. If my query hint was more ambiguous resulting in several possible choices, Word would return a list of them with my relevant hint word or phrase highlighted. In any case, the return would be in the form Tab > Category (the word at the bottom of the ribbon group) > Choice
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you tried clicking in the box "Tell me what you want to do" to the right of the last ribbon tab?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, but I still find the suggestions less useful than I think the format I suggested would be.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do Office 2016 apps have File > Feedback? If so, click 'Send a suggestion' from within any of them (for example Word).
Best wishes,
Hans

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

In MS Word, if Show Mini Toolbar on selection is enabled, selecting an element/object alone (text, images, tables etc.) on your document will usually pop up the Mini Toolbar of relevant command for that particular object.

And if you right-click the selected object then the context menu will also narrow down additional commands that you may apply to the selected object as well.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

jolas: I have that option enabled.

I was able to send MS my criticism and suggestion for responses. We shall see if anything results from it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 22:34
...when I search and locate a subject and choose a Microsoft article, when I'm through reading the article and want to go back to my search engine app - which was replaced when I chose the MS web page, clicking the back arrow in the browser panel does nothing...
Change your behaviour. Instead of searching and simply left clicking on the link you want, click the mouse wheel or hold down the Ctrl key and left click. When you do that FF will open the link in a new tab. Now when you're finished reading, close the tab and go back to your search list.

Ken

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

MS Word Help (F!) and set to OFFLINE maybe should be the default.

Sorry my reply was not for the original question of the post but an answer to Bob's other concern.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.