Creating Schedule to Automatically Create Restore Points

BobH
UraniumLounger

Creating Schedule to Automatically Create Restore Points

Post by BobH »

Part of my recent problem was that I did not have any restore point data that I could access. To avoid that in future, I've set up a scheduled task to create a restore point at a fixed clock time every day. I thought that I would be able to designate the place that the restore point data would be stored but did not encounter such an option when creating the task.

Is it possible to have the Restore Point written to a USB flash drive? If so, is there a way to require that the flash drive be available before running the task and giving a message if it is not?

Not knowing what data, explicitly, is captured during a Windows 10 checkpoint, I don't know if the checkpoint data can be written to a device other than the boot drive. Going back to my old mainframe days and magnetic tape drives when we had nightly file updates that ran for 6 or more hours, we created a program that would periodically write out checkpoint data on each of the input and output files being processed. We then wrote a stand alone program that would reset files to check point and continue. This allowed us to fix any software that might have caused an abnormal termination and restart at the last checkpoint instead of having to restart from the first record. This saved countless hours and missed deadlines for start of business day availability. Is something similar possible for Windows? Or, am I taking an Abram M1A2 tank after a mosquito?
Last edited by BobH on 06 Mar 2019, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Creating Schedule to Automaticall Create Restore Points

Post by HansV »

Restore points are saved to a hidden system folder named System Volume Information on the same drive that the restore points are for. I don't think you can change this location.

A backup utility might be more suitable for your purpose.
Best wishes,
Hans