Saving System Image and Personal Files on Windows 10

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: Saving System Image and Personal Files on Windows 10

Post by RonH »

Thanks for that tip Hans :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Argus wrote:The free version of Macrium Reflect doesn't do incremental backups, nor "files and folders", but full and differential. This thread's topic is about system backup (of different kinds), although some may have their data files included; what is your opinion about running differential backups?
RonH wrote:I realise that it has limitations but this does not impact my needs. I am planning to Image pc ssd on a monthly basis only, saving only 3 full images at any time on a USB 3 ext hd.
Thanks for your comments, Ron.

My question (about differential vs. incremental etc.) was to all who are using backup software, should perhaps put it in another thread.

Yes, auto-verify is a good option, or doing it later on. I would also recommend testing the bootable "rescue media". (It will also be easier to use it when "disaster" has struck; same if one has had a look at the recovery environment of an OS.)

Out of old habit I have not changed boot order, since it's usually quite easy to change when needed. (In the old days, as you may remember, we had boot sector viruses etc. and you could sometimes also save a tiny amount of boot time with the system drive at the top of the boot order; nowadays that's not an issue.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

RonH wrote:I always use a USB mouse ... can't control the laptop pads. Don't think I am game to 'experiment a usb boot. Might loose my mouse :laugh:
I agree with you Ron - I hate the laptop pads. I assume from your "Don't think I am game to 'experiment a usb boot" statement that you created the Macrium rescue on a CD? That's what I did, as I always have a small usb mouse receiver plugged in.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Yes John, I used an ext hd for the imaging plus created a cd for the rescue. Must read up on some of the 550 pages of User Guide to determine just how to use these two 'widgets' though I guess that you load up the rescue and somehow afterwards it will enable access to the ext hd image. I have no experience of such (fortunately) and the closest I have come is to install a clean new copy of Windows 10 on my old pc. I might take some time out to use this as my 'test rig'.

Thanks all for your valuable assistance :thankyou:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

One final word Ron. As Argus mentioned, "I would also recommend testing the bootable "rescue media". (It will also be easier to use it when "disaster" has struck".

It's really simple (booting with the Rescue CD) and the choices, once the CD has loaded, are very straightforward and self-explanatory. Obviously, you can exit at this point without selecting any of the "restore" options, but if you get that far, you can be assured that the boot CD is functioning as intended and if you do have a problem later on, you can be confident in the restore procedure. :smile:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I can agree with all who mentioned there dislike of laptop "scratch" mouse pads. In my days at the CC Museum of Natural History, we had laptops all over the place, in every room. They were used for things like controlling displays to getting answers to visitors questions, etc. I finally surrendered and bought myself a mini laptop USB mouse for a couple of bucks. Carried it in my pocket and when I had to use a laptop, just plugged it in and solved my mouse problems.
I never could convince the Museum IT guy to break down a buy a few of them but in his regal sense of authority, never did buy them.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Well, I finally got around to verifying the image ... all OK.
Now comes the part that sets my heart racing :flee: testing the rescue disc. Reading my Lenovo pc notes it has what they call a Novo button ... 'Shut down the computer and wait at least five seconds. Press the Novo button and then select 'System Recovery' ... or it could be 'Set Up' ... the button menu will vary apparently based on different software versions (useful!).
Novo Button.jpg
It all seems very straight forward but if I miscalculate then :sad:
Is this the correct procedure:
Connect ext optical driver and insert rescue cd/connect usb ext hd with image file. Shut Down. Press Novo button ... but then what? I have not found a post that really assists 'dummies'. The Novo button is there for use when Windows will not start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

From what I have read, the Novo button launches Lenovo's backup and recovery program called Lenovo OneKey Recovery. This has nothing to do with the Macrium program.

To test the Macrium rescue CD, insert the CD prior to a shutdown, perform the shutdown, and then power up the computer again. If the boot order has been set properly, the startup will probably give you the option of booting from the CD or booting normally. In this case, you will select booting from the CD. The CD should load successfully and you will be presented with the various Macrium options, and if I remember correctly, an "exit" or "do nothing" option.

At this point, you have determined that the rescue CD is working properly and you now simply want to exit and boot normally again. You have verified that the CD is working and that you will be able to use this procedure if and when the time comes that you have to recover an image.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei John,

The Lenovo 'Novo' button seems to have a number of 'last ditch' functions corresponding with its UEFI type of BIOS.

But I will try your suggestion. My major concern is that there is a way back in case of any issues arising. But I guess that if all else fails, unplugging the CD and rebooting should work! Apologies for being so 'dummy' but I have just spent a lot of time setting up a new pc for my lady plus reinstalling a fresh copy of W10 on an ageing pc, all of which is causing increased stress levels :flee:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

RonH wrote:Hei John,

The Lenovo 'Novo' button seems to have a number of 'last ditch' functions corresponding with its UEFI type of BIOS.

But I will try your suggestion. My major concern is that there is a way back in case of any issues arising. But I guess that if all else fails, unplugging the CD and rebooting should work! Apologies for being so 'dummy' but I have just spent a lot of time setting up a new pc for my lady plus reinstalling a fresh copy of W10 on an ageing pc, all of which is causing increased stress levels :flee:
No need to apologize Ron. I can understand your apprehensions, especially when this is new territory. Let us know how you make out, or if you have any other questions.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Well, I tried to boot with the CD but the pc just loaded W10 as usual. After (more) research and gaining access to the UEFI (BIOS) I can see that it will not load from a CD; you need to use a USB stick ... though at the time if I had the CD connected it might have registered but this would have meant changing the boot set up whereas using a USB stick involved no boot changes. Prepared the stick and Macrium loaded on boot ... first (blue) screen gave choice of Windows 10 or Macrium Rescue. Opened to the Macrium software on USB.
I conclude that the difficulties experienced were due to trying to use an external CD optical drive since this pc does not include one.

Hopefully I can put this 'to bed' and just do occasional image file updates. I might also try the Files & Folder aspects of Macrium though my present simple ext hd copying functions OK.
Thanks to all who offered guidance :thankyou:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

RonH wrote:using a USB stick involved no boot changes. Prepared the stick and Macrium loaded on boot ... first (blue) screen gave choice of Windows 10 or Macrium Rescue. Opened to the Macrium software on USB.
Great! :clapping: :thumbup: CD or USB stick - doesn't matter - as long as one of them works! You have verified that the USB stick option will boot and open the Macrium software. That's why this testing phase is important. If you had simply relied on the CD (which you discovered did not work with your system), any future problem might have had a disastrous outcome.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

RonH wrote:Prepared the stick and Macrium loaded on boot ...
Probably something you've already taken care of, but it bears repeating: Be sure to label the USB stick adequately, including the date and the version of Macrium Reflect that made it; and store the stick where you can find it if you really need it.

If/when Macrium releases a new major version, use it to rewrite the USB stick.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Sorted but I did forget to write the Macrium version (7.2)
:thumbup:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.