Macrium Reflect "template"

Teunis
3StarLounger

Macrium Reflect "template"

Post by Teunis »

Hello, I have just started using Macrium Reflect 64 free, as my SPX image refused to install from usb with a file authentication error. Probably because my HP 15 laptop uses secure boot. (Other programs e.g. Kaspersky rescue boot correctly from usb.)

My new HP laptop comes with 2 built-in drives, one 128GB SSD and one 1TB HD. Would there be a template (xml) or something similar that lists how I can create a backup from various partitions on the SSD and HD in a single session? How to go about?
Regards, Teunis

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Macrium Reflect "template"

Post by Jay Freedman »

When you start Reflect and choose the Backup tab, it will show you a block for each partition that it detects. In the block is a check box, which I've marked with an arrow here:
1.png
If you leave the box checked, Reflect will include that partition in the backup. If it's unchecked, that partition is omitted.

One thing not shown here is that there's also a box in another row for the external drive (which I don't currently have connected) that will be the destination for the backup. That box also has a check box, which should not be checked.

You'll be prompted to save this information (and any other options you choose on another screen) in a backup definition file. That will let you repeat the same selections with one click; or you can choose to edit the definition (e.g., to change the destination folder) before running another backup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Hello Jay,
Thanks for your answer to my question. My problem is that I have 2 internal disks, 1 (SSD 128GB) and 2 (HD 1TB) which both have blocks as indicated in the figure. So effectively I have 3 boxes, the 2 internal disks and the external b/u destination disk. So far I can only backup 1 internal disk at a time. My question boils down to: how to make a backup (of a number of selected blocks) of both internal disks in one session, i.e. after clicking "Finish" the selection in both disks gets backed up.
I assume this requires some sort of script,but I have no idea how to do that.
Regards, Teunis

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Yesterday's screenshot was from my laptop, which has only one internal drive. Here's one from the desktop tower, which has four internal drives (the fourth one just about made it into the screenshot):
1.png
Not only are all the partitions on all four drives checked, but there's also a check box at the left of each drive that means "include all partitions on this drive".

The backup that's created by the selections shown here does back up all four drives into one image backup file. I'm not sure what has convinced you that you can only back up one drive at a time.

Once you have a backup, you can choose to restore all the partitions, some of them, or individual folders or files from specific drives. Reflect installs a driver that lets you open a backup file as a pseudo-drive in Windows Explorer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Hi Jay, thanks once again. I had not looked properly at the options in the LHS panel, too much occupied by the main RHS panel. Indeed I now updated various partitions on both disks in one go, exactly what I wanted.

Regards, Teunis