Restoring disk images from boot media

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Restoring disk images from boot media

Post by AlanMiller »

I am considering some new backup/ restore software, and looking for recommendations. I have tried numerous, but the issue (to me) seems that, while they are all very slick operating from within the Win 7 environment in doing all the fancy backup work, many seem rather flaky in restoring a clone/image to a new C: drive. Acronis 2011 for instance can't detect the USB drive where the backup resides. I've seen other similar problems with a couple of others I've tried over the years.

So what I'm really after is recommendations for software which can restore an image to a new C: drive, from a USB HDD via the boot CD, without any hassles or fuss. Any suggestions appreciated.

Alan

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Restoring disk images from boot media

Post by StuartR »

I've done this successfully with recent versions of Acronis TrueImage. You do need to build a CD on the target PC while it is working though, to ensure you have all the right drivers.
StuartR

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Thanks Stuart. Maybe my 2011 version was a bit primitive in this respect. Or maybe I didn't build the boot CD in any detail, or just accepted the "defaults". I think I basically followed the information here. Which recent version have you used? And how did you ensure you had all the right drivers?

The other alternative is to simply use a dumb clone/mirror boot CD, which can copy sector by sector both ways. I don't need anything more than that.

Alan

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

One uses Macrium Reflect.
I'm hoping to clone about 70 PCs from a Windows 10 customised image some time during 2019.
The paid-for version will clone to dissimilar hardware, if you have this problem.
Probably Acronis will too, but I see too many Rude Comments about it to wish to indulge its foibles.

Of course, if you're talking about Windows 7, the native backup/restore WbAdmin works perfectly well for images (booting from an 'install' CD). It can even (on a good day) cope with imaging dissimilar manufacturers' PCs - my record is an HP Compaq image restored to a Dell Optiplex, with a whole bunch of Dell-specific drivers being downloaded automatically!

[I can even do you a BATch file, which runs on our WS2008R2 file server, running PsExec to execute the WbAdmin image function on a target Windows 7 PC, transferring the image data across the LAN back to a USB external hard drive on the server. Takes 70-100 mins on 100 Mbps ethernet.]
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

AlanMiller wrote:[...] can't detect the USB drive where the backup resides. I've seen other similar problems with a couple of others I've tried over the years.
Not an answer to your question, just an observation related to this. I've heard that some had problems detecting Advanced Format (4kb/sector) drives. (Also, I've noticed that one sometimes has to tweak settings in BIOS (apart from usual boot priority, if needed); USB support from partial initialization (keyboard etc.) to full initialization; but that was to get the boot media (USB stick) going, if I remember correct.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Some of these back up programs just do not support the larger USB External drives.
Some stop supporting at the 1T level and others at the 3T level or higher.
We found the earlier versions of True Image did not support anything over 2T.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

AlanMiller wrote:Thanks Stuart. Maybe my 2011 version was a bit primitive in this respect. Or maybe I didn't build the boot CD in any detail, or just accepted the "defaults". I think I basically followed the information here. Which recent version have you used? And how did you ensure you had all the right drivers?
I am using Acronis TrueImage 2018. There is a rescue media builder in the user interface, which creates bootable media with the right drivers for the current computer, or allows you to add additional drivers if you need to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I have and still do use Acronis TI through many versions, up to 2017, which for some reasons got a little "flaky", so I reverted back to 2014. This has a simpler GUI (I think).
I've been trying the free Minitool ShadowMaker that can perform most of the easier tasks that I need to do.
Might be worth a peek at MINITOOL
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Thanks all for the advice so far. I am trying the free Paragon disk manager, and will try to give all the options a run and report my verdict.

Alan

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

John Gray wrote:One uses Macrium Reflect.
I'm hoping to clone about 70 PCs from a Windows 10 customised image some time during 2019.
The paid-for version will clone to dissimilar hardware, if you have this problem.
Probably Acronis will too, but I see too many Rude Comments about it to wish to indulge its foibles.

Of course, if you're talking about Windows 7, the native backup/restore WbAdmin works perfectly well for images (booting from an 'install' CD). It can even (on a good day) cope with imaging dissimilar manufacturers' PCs - my record is an HP Compaq image restored to a Dell Optiplex, with a whole bunch of Dell-specific drivers being downloaded automatically!

[I can even do you a BATch file, which runs on our WS2008R2 file server, running PsExec to execute the WbAdmin image function on a target Windows 7 PC, transferring the image data across the LAN back to a USB external hard drive on the server. Takes 70-100 mins on 100 Mbps ethernet.]
Thanks John. Could you clarify "dissimilar hardware" please. I see the term thrown around, but without a specific definition.

Also an "install" CD. Do you mean the original Win 7 installation disk(s)?

Alan

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

"Dissimilar hardware" refers to restoring a backup to a system that needs completely different device drivers and core system files, due to differences in hardware. The backup software has to replace these files during the restore because otherwise the system would not even be able to start.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Alan: Stuart has given a better description of 'dissimilar hardware' than I could!

Yes, to the WIndows 7 installation disc.
John Gray

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

John Gray wrote:One uses Macrium Reflect.

Hi John

I am exploring Macrium at the moment and looking at the option of cloning to (near) identical hardware on a USB HDD. I have questions regarding the Win (7) PE Rescue disk. I have created an ISO file, to be burned to boot CD. I have had problems with other rescue media not being able to run my wireless mouse/keyboard. Is the anything I need to "add" to Macrium's PE to ensure these will work? I have assumed it will have appropriate drivers to be able to recognize the cloned USB disk, but have not burned one yet.

You also mention "images" with WbAdmin. Would this work, to make a new empty C: drive work like a "restored" copy of the original the backup was based on? And would something like a PE boot disk be able to do the job?

thanks
Alan

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Alan: I can only comment in part, having avoided wireless mice and keyboards like the plague! I like wired devices, like I like wired ethernet.
But it wouldn't surprise me that drivers would be needed for these, added to the WinPE boot CD or USB Flash Drive.

I'm not quite clear about your final paragraph. I run WbAdmin image
wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:X: -include:C: -allCritical -vssCopy -quiet
on the C: drive to image it to the X: drive, a USB external hard drive.
To restore the image to the C: drive of another PC, I would boot the (Windows 7) installation CD. and do Restore Image from the USB external hard drive over the C: drive, which would then be bootable. [I use this to reimage a failed PC to a new one, then change its computername, and a few other things. We have a Volume Licence for Windows 7 so there's no problem with the Product Key]
Using Macrium Reflect, replace WbAdmin in the above account!
John Gray

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

I guess I was curious about the difference between cloning a disk and imaging one. I did find some explanation here so now I'm wondering which process is preferable, assuming they can both be achieved using Macrium and a PE boot disk.

thanks
Alan

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I think of the processes as follows:
IMAGING produces a set of backup files on an external drive which can be used to reimage a hard drive. [WbAdmin produces up to about 20 files!]
CLONING produces a sector-for-sector copy of one hard drive to a second hard drive.
John Gray

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Sorry to keep coming up with problems. The story so far ... Macrium had problems cloning my drive with a bad sector report. I tried AOMEI Backupper Standard and it reported no such problem, so now I'm guessing I have a "good" clone on an external USB HDD. I tried making the PE boot USB using the same program and all it seems to do is launch a Windows repair. So question 1 is what alternatives might there be?

Second, I want to ensure the drivers are present for the clone drive. I have identified them as:
drivers.png
Problem is that the software is after an .INF file. How might I locate this, or do I have to try find and download one? Maybe I'm in a bit deep with all this? I'm thinking of simply buying an internal HDD to clone to, so all I need do is swap some cables if C: fails. Advice desperately appreciated.

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

It is often a good idea to do a CHKDSK /F on the C: drive before doing an image/clone.
I would tend to believe Macrium if it thinks there is a sector problem.

If you are restoring to what Macrium calls 'dissimilar hardware' then you'll have to get their paid-for version. Not even the trial will allow that, perhaps for obvious revenue-protection reasons...
John Gray

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

AlanMiller wrote:I tried making the PE boot USB using the same program and all it seems to do is launch a Windows repair. So question 1 is what alternatives might there be?
The PC is healthy and boots normally, but when you try to use the USB flash drive you're shown "Windows repair" (is that Windows Error Recovery)? Have you tried creating a bootable flash drive with (the separate software) AOMEI PE Builder?

What about settings when created; legacy BIOS or UEFI? (Not that I think it would end up with a black screen Error Recovery; it simply won't boot.)

(I do agree with your original comment; "... while they are all very slick operating from within the Win 7 environment in doing all the fancy backup work, many seem rather flaky in restoring ..."; or rather, it can be a bumpy ride to get the boot media to boot the computer; installing and running a backup software etc. is nothing compared; it all depends on what is needed of course.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Argus wrote:
AlanMiller wrote:I tried making the PE boot USB using the same program and all it seems to do is launch a Windows repair. So question 1 is what alternatives might there be?
The PC is healthy and boots normally, but when you try to use the USB flash drive you're shown "Windows repair" (is that Windows Error Recovery)? Have you tried creating a bootable flash drive with (the separate software) AOMEI PE Builder?
Yes to the first - no problems with the PC, but booting to flash drive jumps straight into a Windows Repair mode.
I did build the bootable flash drive with AOMEI PE Builder using its basic build.
I tried again, using their suggestion to download a "better" version of PE builder. The result was this:
builder.png
Restart made no difference.
What about settings when created; legacy BIOS or UEFI? (Not that I think it would end up with a black screen Error Recovery; it simply won't boot.)
Just using legacy BIOS, trying not to confuse things even further.
(I do agree with your original comment; "... while they are all very slick operating from within the Win 7 environment in doing all the fancy backup work, many seem rather flaky in restoring ..."; or rather, it can be a bumpy ride to get the boot media to boot the computer; installing and running a backup software etc. is nothing compared; it all depends on what is needed of course.)
Yes, this has really been quite a time waster for me. As you say, all the fancy bells and whistles available to create a simple clone, but (for me) no way to then transfer that (keep-it-simple) clone on to a new HDD. Being a realist (some would say pessimist) I can foresee only disaster coming from trying to rectify a real HDD failure disaster. All I can think of that I might have a modicum of confidence in, is to buy a second internal HDD (identical as possible to my 1TB C:) and have my clone sit on that. I can even test it by just swapping over the cables. I'm not really prepared to give "flaky" fancy software the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best :crossfingers: when it comes to total backup.

Alan