Can't see network share

silverback
5StarLounger

Can't see network share

Post by silverback »

I have My Documents set up as a network share on my old computer. On my new computer (Windows 10) I can't see this share. Furkling around I noticed that the old PC share said that the firewall had been altered to allow other network items to see this share. The new PC has come with McAfee installed and running on a 30 day trial. This made me suspect that it might be McAfee stopping the share being accessible so I switched off the Firewall :exclamation:
A bit more poking of File Explorer and the network share suddenly appeared. Obviously I do not want to run with Firewall switched off for the amount of time I need to play with the share.

Can someone help with what needs to be done to McAfee to allow this network share to be always visible without switching off Firewall, please?
(I will not be taking up the option of buying McAfee at the 30 day point)
Silverback

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Can't see network share

Post by John Gray »

Uninstall McAfee, which will enable the entirely-adequate Windows firewall to operate, and see if that fixes your problem.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

John Gray wrote:Uninstall McAfee, which will enable the entirely-adequate Windows firewall to operate, and see if that fixes your problem.
Hi, John
Thanks for your suggestion, but I wasn't brave enough to uninstall, yet, so I did a bit of furkling round McAfee network settings. I honestly can't remember exactly what I did, but the network share suddenly popped into view. Do I gather that you use Windows Defender as your only anti-virus/firewall program? I was thinking of using Avast when McAfee timed out.
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The security built into Windows 10 is adequate for most users; I haven't used third-party antivirus for many years now, and never experienced problems.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

One is with Hans!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Me too / Wot Hans said.

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

WE, also use Defender or MSE depending of the OS
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin: