Using Windows Defender and Trying To Manually Scan

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Using Windows Defender and Trying To Manually Scan

Post by hlewton »

Some recent update, not at all sure when, has taken away the ability for me to run a scan manually using Windows Defender as my anti-virus program. I want to run a full scan as I have done many times before but cannot find a way to do it any longer. I’ve searched the WEB but found nothing that worked for me. My only way of opening the application is either double clicking it or Right clicking it and choosing Open in the systray. Both options present me with the same screen which I will attach below. I have looked at all the options by opening each icon and all of the icons along the left of the screen as well. I still cannot find a way to force a manual scan. Does anyone know how I can force Windows Defender to “Scan Now” as I used to be able to do. I especially want to do a Full Scan.

Thanks.
Defender.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Using Windows Defender and Trying To Manually Scan

Post by stuck »

If I read that screenshot correctly it is telling you that you are NOT using Windows Defender, which will be why you can't use it to scan you machine. Look under the left hand option, the shield, it says 'you're using other antivirus providers'.

My Win 10 PC here at work runs TREND antivirus. It places a TREND icon in the system tray with right click options that go to the TREND console not the Defender Security Centre. If I search for 'security centre' I can get to a dialog that looks like the one you post but it gives me a link to TREND where your screen shot says 'View antivirus providers'.

Conclusion? Your PC is confused about whether or not it's running Defender. Have you tried a reboot from cold to see if that helps?

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Click on "Virus & threat protection". Below the "Quick scan" button is an "Advanced scan" link. Click on it. Select the type of scan you want to run.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:If I read that screenshot correctly it is telling you that you are NOT using Windows Defender, which will be why you can't use it to scan you machine. Look under the left hand option, the shield, it says 'you're using other antivirus providers'.

My Win 10 PC here at work runs TREND antivirus. It places a TREND icon in the system tray with right click options that go to the TREND console not the Defender Security Centre. If I search for 'security centre' I can get to a dialog that looks like the one you post but it gives me a link to TREND where your screen shot says 'View antivirus providers'.

Conclusion? Your PC is confused about whether or not it's running Defender. Have you tried a reboot from cold to see if that helps?

Ken
You were correct. For some unknown reason Avast had installed it on my computer and believe me I have never once downloaded that nor have I ever installed it. After reading your post I ran Task Manager and sure enough it showed Avast was active and running. This really kind of upsets me because it installed on its own. I then uninstalled Avast and rebooted.

I just checked another computer that just recently updated to the Creator's version of Win 10 and at the time I noticed the Avast program had downloaded a desktop icon but I immediately deleted it. I did just check its Task Manager and that machine was running the Windows Defender as is was supposed to. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Click on "Virus & threat protection". Below the "Quick scan" button is an "Advanced scan" link. Click on it. Select the type of scan you want to run.
Thanks for your help and I'll try to be brief. I had checked where you suggested before posting this thread and that option you mentioned was not available. No option was. As my post above indicates I uninstalled Avast and rebooted. Once I did that then the steps you mentioned works perfectly. I sure hope Avast or any other anti-virus never again installs itself on my computer.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:...I sure hope Avast or any other anti-virus never again installs itself on my computer.
It won't have installed itself. Most likely it was installed as an 'extra you might like' when you installed something else on your PC. 'Free' software is notorious for bundling 'helpful' stuff from third parties. For that reason I never use the default install options on packages, I always look for the 'advanced' options and then step through the installer very carefully looking for boxes to untick or tick in order to ensure I only get the main application and none of the extras.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
hlewton wrote:...I sure hope Avast or any other anti-virus never again installs itself on my computer.
It won't have installed itself. Most likely it was installed as an 'extra you might like' when you installed something else on your PC. 'Free' software is notorious for bundling 'helpful' stuff from third parties. For that reason I never use the default install options on packages, I always look for the 'advanced' options and then step through the installer very carefully looking for boxes to untick or tick in order to ensure I only get the main application and none of the extras.

Ken
Thank you and I am usually very careful of that. The only thing I installed lately, other than MS updates, was an updated CCleaner so I guess I will have to watch that more carefully in the future. I did purchase and install a program called Corel PDF Fusion a couple weeks ago but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when installing it. Still I will have to be more vigilant in the future. Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The latest update to CCleaner did have an offer to install Avast; the check box was ticked by default and it was rather small...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:The latest update to CCleaner did have an offer to install Avast; the check box was ticked by default and it was rather small...
Thanks Hans that explains it. I sure will be more careful in the future.
Regards,
hlewton