Google Account/Gmail security settings issue

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Google Account/Gmail security settings issue

Post by BobArch2 »

The following is a posting I made on the ShadowProtect Windows SPX forum concerning an issue with email notifications created by ShadowProtect to advise of success or failure of the backup process.

After the posting, I set up a new email account with my ISP (Bell) to be used exclusively for SPX notifications. Then changed our two family systems, tested out the changes and all was well.

Then turned the security setting in my Google account to block insecure apps. All was well until this morning. While performing the first mail run on my PC since changing the security settings, this popped up:
2016-08-18_9-30-50.jpg
I then received an email from Google telling me that I should "Review blocked sign-in attempt. It provided a timestamp of the "infraction" and identified that the attempt came from a Less secure app.

Research identified that Outlook 2016 is not a secure app as defined by Google's rules. Have reset the security setting my account at Google to allow mail runs on my PC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Re: Google Account/Gmail security settings issue

Post by HansV »

I wonder why Google considers Outlook and Thunderbird to be insecure...

(Perhaps because they're not from Google?)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:I wonder why Google considers Outlook and Thunderbird to be insecure...

My son works for Google. I informed him of my issues with his company's security settings. I won't post his comments to me. And I thought he and I were good friends. I might have to disinherit him! :evilgrin:
Regards,
Bob

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:I wonder why Google considers Outlook and Thunderbird to be insecure...

I ran into this when trying to set up Outlook to use accounts from my ISP, from my personal website provider, and from Gmail. It seems that (at least in Google's opinion) the authentication protocol that Outlook and other mail clients use for IMAP is less secure than the latest-and-greatest. The explanation is completely devoid of details about what protocol is necessary or which clients (other than the Gmail client) implement it.