ShadowProtect Activation issue

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

ShadowProtect Activation issue

Post by BobArch2 »

As reported in this post, I had an activation issue after applying the Windows 10 Pro Anniversary update. If you intend on performing the update I would highly recommend deactivating your Shadow Protect license before performing the Anniversary update.

Applying the Windows 10 Anniversary update seems to modify your system/hardware specs stored on the Storage Craft Activation servers and treats the updated environment as a new system and thus, needing a new license.
Last edited by BobArch2 on 07 Aug 2016, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: ShadowProtect Activation issue

Post by PaulB »

Thanks for the heads-up, Bob. I installed the Anniversary Update on 03 August with no ill effects other than the daily incremental taking much longer because of the massive download.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: ShadowProtect Activation issue

Post by BobArch2 »

PaulB wrote:Thanks for the heads-up, Bob. I installed the Anniversary Update on 03 August with no ill effects other than the daily incremental taking much longer because of the massive download.
Hi Paul,

I have 3 licenses (through the Home Bundle Pack). When talking to Storage Craft a couple of days ago, they said that all three licenses were being used. One on my wife's PC and two allocated to the same machine id... mine. The dates activated for my machine ID were November 2015 and April 2016. In November 2015, I deactivated my SPX license and then installed a newer version of SPX. So, that accounts for one of mine.

Then in April 2016 I decided to uninstall the Windows 10 Insider Preview from the dual boot environment and updated my Windows 8.1 Pro environment to Windows 10 Pro. That action must have somehow triggered the use of the second license allocated to my PC.

Then when updating to the Anniversary rendition that must have flagged to the StorageCraft Activation servers that I was using SPX on a fourth PC.

SC has usually said that when updating to a major version of SP, deactivate the license first, install the new version and then reactivate. They never said anything about deactivation when applying a major update to the operating system. If that scenario is true (needing a deactivation) then there could be serious issues. Meaning, with auto update being the standard MO in Win 10, this issue can resurface.
Regards,
Bob