Who/What is hijacking web pages? (Firefox Setup 38.0.1.exe)

rgrosz78
Lounger

Re: Who/What is hijacking web pages? (Firefox Setup 38.0.1.e

Post by rgrosz78 »

HansV wrote:The free version of Malwarebytes runs a manually started scan, it is not active all the time so it doesn't conflict with other security programs.
+1 I have recommended / used Malwarebytes many times for others who have seen the same types of web exploits.

It is great software, and they have a nice set of educational youtube videos about various exploits:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Malwarebytes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rick Groszkiewicz
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:... it sure looks like you got pooped on when installing something that had these things "piggy backed" with it.
I agree, Bob.
To my way of thinking, all the more reason for
(1) downloading the complete application to the hard drive and using this stable version for future re-installations
(2) thereby avoiding the chance of being led astray into an alternative download source (like CNet with myriad toolbars and options etc).

The more variable an installation process is, the more unstable it is likely to be.

I know that I (jokingly) flog the old punched cards, but we learned back in 1970 that we were better off punching up a one-card RunJob command (ICL 1903A George III) than writing the command in block capitals on a submission sheet for the harried computer operator to key in by hand.

I *love* hard-copy for critical issues, and include stable well-known installation files in that category.

:cheers:
He who plants a seed, plants life.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

rgrosz78 wrote:+1 I have recommended / used Malwarebytes many times for others who have seen the same types of web exploits.
Thanks Rick.
I used to have MalWareBytes installed back in my XP days (i.e. until about two years ago).
I suspect that I struggled so much getting rid of Win8 and installing Win7 that I skipped the trailing part of my reinstallation procedures and never got around to it.

FWIW I am running MalWareBytes nightly at the moment just to see if I am doing anything on a regular basis that is re-introducing the cruddy software.

(signed) "Still happy" of Toronto
He who plants a seed, plants life.