Avast And Thunderbird

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Avast And Thunderbird

Post by Bigaldoc »

For those who use Avast, there is a new Version 5 at: Avast! - Download Free Antivirus Software.

And, in case you also use Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 you might want to watch out for this one that bit me. After installing Avast 5 I couldn't send SMTP email from Thunderbird. After a series of forum post exchanges at the Avast board, I learned that I had to ADD username to my SMTP server settings which has never been required by my ISP. I didn't question why. It works and I'm doing OK with it.
2010-01-24_083008.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steveh
SilverLounger

Re: Avast And Thunderbird

Post by steveh »

Hi Al

I tend to go for AVG, the free version is good (http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) the paid version is great. What stands Avast out from the crowd for you though?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I think it was AVG 8, which had problems in its early days, that put many people off AVG. I dumped it off a Win2K laptop and replaced it with Avast at that time.

I've recently installed Avria on all the machines at home. The only down side of that is the nag screen but there appears to be a workaround (http://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=221) for that, though as yet I've not had chance to apply it and confirm the details.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

steveh wrote:Hi Al

I tend to go for AVG, the free version is good (http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) the paid version is great. What stands Avast out from the crowd for you though?
It's been a long time since I used an earlier version of AVG and it may have been as far back as Win98SE days. Like Ken, I had trouble with it but don't remember the details. I'm sure it's come a long way since then.

I've tried several products over the years and when I decided I didn't want to pay Trend Micro for four licenses, I switched to Avast, on the recommendation of a Lounger I think. Other than a couple of false positives early on, I haven't had a problem with it until this business with SMTP. But it "seems" to be functioning and doing its auto-updates on a regular basis.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...I've recently installed Avria on all the machines at home...
I have a number of PCs at home and run at least one copy of each of the major free antivirus products.

Since all the PCs keep their documents on the same network share this gives a very good chance of detecting anything nasty.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:
stuck wrote:...I've recently installed Avria on all the machines at home...
I have a number of PCs at home and run at least one copy of each of the major free antivirus products.

Since all the PCs keep their documents on the same network share this gives a very good chance of detecting anything nasty.
Now there's an idea but my home network is in its infancy and is only a simple peer-to-peer set up. When I have some spare cash I intend to add a NAS. When I get that far, I think I'll try your approach - if I remember :grin:

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

When you get to the point of investigating NAS, I recommend you check out Windows Home Server. It is a NAS solution, backup & recovery solution, media server, & more. There are a growing number of very nice OEM implementations. You can also DIY if you care to.

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

JoeP wrote:When you get to the point of investigating NAS, I recommend you check out Windows Home Server.

Joe
I'll start a new thread when the time comes :cheers:

Ken

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

For those who can't remember why they moved from AVG to Avast ...

I was finding that AVG was taking up to 18 hours to do its daily scan of my machine. Far too long for my limited patience. I do have a lot of files, but that was at the extreme end for me. I changed to Avast on Al's recommendation in another thread (and lounge) and haven't looked back.

What I also really like about Avast is on install, it will do a complete scan of a system. That has saved me many times.