MSE - no progress bar

uncle
3StarLounger

MSE - no progress bar

Post by uncle »

Hi -

For last few updates, I no longer see the progress bar. I have downloaded it again and still no bar....
It seems I have not seen it for months....

Thank you

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: MSE - no progress bar

Post by agibsonsw »

Which progress bar? You mean when you open it, go to Update and press the Update button..?
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

MSE has always been silent for me, that's one of the best things about it IMHO. It sits there in the System Tray and any time I've checked the last update has never been more that 24 hours out of date.

When I have forced a manual update I've always seen a progress bar that starts off quickly but then seems to take forever to complete the final 4-5mm. It's at that stage as I type this.

Ken

PaulB
SilverLounger

Post by PaulB »

Oh how I miss MSE! I think MS made a horrible, horrible mistake by not porting MSE to Windows 8, regressing to a dumbed-down Windows Defender instead.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Guys --I manually update using this address http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; since the Update button only worked for me only once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

PaulB wrote:... I think MS made a horrible, horrible mistake by not porting MSE to Windows 8, regressing to a dumbed-down Windows Defender instead.
I've never even seen Win 8 but from what I've read I get the impression your sentance is too long and you really mean is, "MS made a horrible, horrible mistake with Windows 8" :evilgrin:

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

uncle wrote:Guys --I manually update using this address http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; since the Update button only worked for me only once.
Presumably you've already tried the complete uninstall/reinstall trick?

Ken

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Ken-thanks. Yup, as I mentioned in initial post...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I don't follow you. I was asking if you had uninstalled the whole MSE package and reinstalled it, so that it worked as intended, silently auto-updating in the background with no indication it was doing anything but when you open it from the System Tray you see the virus definitions are never more than a few hours 'out-of-date' so it is doing something.

Whereas the link you give and imply you've downloaded several times only downloads the virus definition file. If the only way you have of keeping your MSE up to date is to manually download and run an .exe virus definition file that suggests there is something wrong with your MSE installation because that's not how MSE is supposed to work.

Ken

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Ken - I don't want it to auto-update. I want to be in control of the updates....Since that is an option, I don't quite understand why that should imply a problem with the installation.

(How long do the updates take if on auto-update, please.)

Thanks

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I don't know how long auto-updates take I'm not aware of them happening but I've never known MSE to slow down either my main desktop (3.2 GHz Pentium 4 HT, 3Gb RAM, XPMCE) or my netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom, 1 Gb RAM, Win7 Starter). It did make an old 1.6 GHz Celeron 1Gb RAM laptop grind but that too was fine once I upped the RAM to 2 Gb.

I've just opened MSE on the lowly netbook and forced it to update. It took less than 3 mins to update across my 6-8MB broadband connection. Can't give you a time for the desktop as it is up to date, it must have done that as part of the boot, which again only takes a few mins.

Each to his own but while I do not allow Windows to update automatically I don't see any point in taking the same caution with my AV. I'd never remember to do it every time I used the PC and an out of date AV seems to me to be worthless.

Ken

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

thank you for your posts, Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

No problem, sorry I couldn't help you with your missing progress bar.

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Off-topic: Why do progress bars stall at 97% ?? really annoying :groan:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's really difficult to make a progress bar display realistic values if you don't know in advance how long something will take and if you have little or no control about parts of the process...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

uncle wrote:Ken - I don't want it to auto-update. I want to be in control of the updates....Since that is an option, I don't quite understand why that should imply a problem with the installation.
May I ask where is the option to not auto-update (assume you are referring to virus data files, not program updates?)? I have never managed to find it!

Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

As far as I can tell, there is NO "Auto Update". On my laptop that I have MSE running, the updating of MSE is "Optional" part of the Microsoft Updates.

BUT, if you have a Scheduled Scan, one of the settings is to "Check for latest..........)", to prevent this, then remove the check.
You need to check out what you have in the Settings tab.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Hi, Chris -

Go into Settings tab/Schedule Scan & uncheck everything. Then go back to Update tab and try your luck there. That doesn't work for me becuase, I guess, I have Automatic Updates Service disabled, so I go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for my manual updates.

Hope this helps.

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

uncle wrote:Hi, Chris -

Go into Settings tab/Schedule Scan & uncheck everything. Then go back to Update tab and try your luck there. That doesn't work for me becuase, I guess, I have Automatic Updates Service disabled, so I go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for my manual updates.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, getting more confused :scratch:

All the boxes in Settings|Scheduled Scan are (have always been) unchecked. I have Windows Updates set to "Check for updates but let me choose...". However, MSE automatically updates every day or so (it's just done so this morning) with no action from me. I can go to the Update tab and click Update if I want to be sure I have the latest virus data file installed. I can also download and install the latest data file manually. What I can't find a way to do is to STOP MSE updating automatically.

Is this possible? How?

Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

AFAIK but I may be wrong, the auto-updating of MSE is not controlled by the preferences you set for Windows/MS Update, i.e. even if you turn WU off completely, MSE will still autoupdate.

I'm happy to be corrected on that though since I've not fully investigated my belief nor will I ever got to such lengths because as I said earlier:
"...while I do not allow Windows to update automatically I don't see any point in taking the same caution with my AV. I'd never remember to do it every time I used the PC and an out of date AV seems to me to be worthless."

Ken