Send Button Does Nothing

Ailios
Lounger

Send Button Does Nothing

Post by Ailios »

I received a complaint from one of our clients that she is unable to reply to our messages. They are using Outlook and their email is through @qwestoffice.net. The click reply, compose their response, but when they click the Send button it does nothing. No error message. Just nothing. To get around this they have to cut and paste their response into the body of a new email and then they are able to send it. Just not using reply for some reason. They say it's only happening with email they receive from us and no one else so they're blaming our mail system. I know that wouldn't be possible because we have no control over their computers. I'd like to send them a solution to their problem to smooth this over. Has anyone ever seen this happen before and know the answer?
Daisy

Samantha
3StarLounger

Re: Send Button Does Nothing

Post by Samantha »

Has your client tried re-addressing the reply message to you? I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the reply-to address, but they have your correct email address in their address book.
Samantha

Guessed
2StarLounger

Post by Guessed »

It is possible that your emails are configured to have a blank replyto address. All emails have a setting for reply addresses that is not necessarily the same as the from address.

This link http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... l-outlook/ might give you an idea on how to change this setting.

You can verify what replyto address is on your emails by sending yourself an email and then trying a reply.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Ailios
Lounger

Post by Ailios »

Samantha wrote:Has your client tried re-addressing the reply message to you? I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the reply-to address, but they have your correct email address in their address book.
On our end we have Outlook 2000 and an Exchange 2003. Not sure how the assistant would have changed that as a default in their emails without administrative access or access to the server. I don't know what version of Outlook is on the receiving end.

Our user has only one email address as opposing to someone else here might have more than one so it's related to something like that.
Daisy

Ailios
Lounger

Post by Ailios »

The sender continues to have a problem. On replies the problem doesn't go away if they readdress the Sent To line.

They apparently are not using Outlook. Rater they are using some sort of web interface supported by Qwest.

Meanwhile, looking at their AD profile again I see where their "User logon name" was different from their email address. This user's name is Richard but goes by Dick. We use first initial last name when creating profiles. His profile has always been rlastname but when I looked today it in "User logon name" it was dlastname. The rest of the places in the user's AD profile show rlastname correctly. I changed it in this place and logged the user out and back on.

If this isn't it and doesn't fit the problem, I'm tempted to blow away their mailbox and maybe their network AD profile and desktop profile and start over. (Backing up mailbox content and docs first, of course.)

Suggestions?
Daisy

Ailios
Lounger

Post by Ailios »

I just spoke with the other office. They have apparently been able to send emails to a variety of people in our firm. This problem shows up intermittently and it has happened for a variety of different users so it rules out just one mailbox being the issue. The only way they have been able to get around it is to make a copy of the email body, open a new email, paste body, and type the addresses manually. Very much a problem for them. Please, please, please does someone have something they can offer on how to resolved?
Daisy

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I have no solution for you, but...

You originally mentioned that they were using Outlook, but later that they were using a web interface. Have those with problems tried switching from Outlook to the web interface or vice versa, and did it make a difference?
Best wishes,
Hans

Ailios
Lounger

Post by Ailios »

HansV wrote:You originally mentioned that they were using Outlook...
I was incorrect information that our attorney's assistant gave me. I've since talked directly with the attorney at the other office who is having this problem and learned she has always just used the Qwest web interface. Sorry.
Daisy

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps she could try Outlook to see if that works?
Best wishes,
Hans

Ailios
Lounger

Post by Ailios »

The user having the problem does not have Outlook available. They only have Qwest Office and their online email interface. They don't have a problem sending us a new email. They're just not able to reply back to emails we send to them. This problem isn't guaranteed to happen every time which makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Most of the users on out end are still using Outlook 2000 so I'm going to bump them up to Outlook 2003 to see if the issue goes away. Unfortunately, the user with the problem is angry and not very cooperative. The users on my network are increasingly more hostile too because this has been going on for a while and I'm not coming up with an answer.
Daisy

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's too bad. I feel sorry for you, but I'm afraid I have no idea what could cause this problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Ailios wrote:The user having the problem does not have Outlook available. They only have Qwest Office and their online email interface. They don't have a problem sending us a new email. They're just not able to reply back to emails we send to them. This problem isn't guaranteed to happen every time which makes it difficult to troubleshoot.
If they are using a web interface it could be something in your e-mail is causing a javascript problem. Do you have any security software that would be modifying the e-mail headers? Do you add any disclaimers automatically? Do the users on your end use signatures that they create individually?

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Can you contact the client's QWest support and see if they have experienced problems in other locations dealing with Outlook or older versions of Outlook. It is a client in common and they should want to help identify and fix the problem rather than blowing it off and risking it later being found a problem at their end.

Just a thought

-b
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Ailios wrote:The user having the problem does not have Outlook available. They only have Qwest Office and their online email interface. They don't have a problem sending us a new email. They're just not able to reply back to emails we send to them. This problem isn't guaranteed to happen every time which makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Unfortunately, the user with the problem is angry and not very cooperative. The users on my network are increasingly more hostile too because this has been going on for a while and I'm not coming up with an answer.
I know it's not funny to you, but I find it odd that a business contact is angry at YOU for a problem with THEIR system. Qwest Office is somewhat proprietary, no help appears to be available unless you have purchased the service, so you are going to have to call Qwest on the phone. But I had one insipid flash of possible inspiration - does the problem resolve if the user unblocks popups on the Qwest Office website when he or she is replying?
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since the problem turned out not to be related to Outlook, I have moved this thread to the Other E-mail Clients forum (thanks, Dave!)
Best wishes,
Hans

Ailios
Lounger

Post by Ailios »

I finally got a cooperative Qwest Office technician who was willing to get into the user's email and run tests with me. What we learned: The can't-press-send-button problem occurs when their user is logged into the Qwest Office webmail using Internet Explorer and when we sent our emails using either RTF or HTML format, but it does not occur when we sent using plain text format. We use a program called GFI Mail Essentials for spam filtering and one of it's added benefits is the ability to add a disclaimer at the bottom of all outbound emails, either in HTML or plain text format. I believe the way it does that partly to blame for the problem on her end. However, the problem disappears and does not occur when the user is logged into the Qwest Office webmail using Firefox. Since I can't force the other person to use a different browser, we're faced with finding the best way to always send emails to her using plain text. A feat that is not as easy as it should be. I'll post an email about that separately back in the Outlook area.

Thank you to everyone who offered assistance and suggestions. It was very, very helpful.
Daisy