Gmail auto-suggested addresses

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Gmail auto-suggested addresses

Post by Jeff H »

My wife finds Gmail's suggested addresses very frustrating and asked if we can turn that feature off. When I searched online, all I found was selecting "I'll add contacts myself" in settings. But that's not it. That just stops auto-saving addresses in Contacts.

When you add an address or two in the To: box, additional addressees will appear below in gray to make it easier to add them if you want. But the incident that sparked her request was something I haven't seen before. She addressed an email to me and her grandson, Chance, and the suggestion asked her if she meant Carolyn instead of Chance. (Carolyn is an old friend.)

I just thought someone here might have some inside information about how to turn that feature off.

And if so, then maybe someone also knows about another issue. Is it possible to have all addressees displayed in the To: box all the time, instead of the space-saving feature of showing one or two addresses and the "x more" indicator?

Thanks,
- Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: Gmail auto-suggested addresses

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, neither is possible. :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Yes, its sad. :drop:
But thanks for confirming, Hans.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hi Jeff, I get virtually the same but am happy with it. You could create a new Gmail account, Export your contacts then import them into the new account and delete the ones in your current account. To add an address to your original account use copy & paste.
-
Method 2
Print your contacts and save as PDF then copy to notepad and paste into you message.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Thanks for the suggestions, Ted. Personally I'm neutral on the subject. I seldom use the feature but it doesn't bother me. My wife uses her computer and smartphone extensively, but she has a somewhat low frustration threshold when new things pop up or when something adds to the clutter on the screen. She's never quite been able feel comfortable about clicking anything she's not completely familiar with. She's afraid it will take her somewhere she can't get back from, which I get.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Remember! there is always more ways to skin a cat.

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

I use that adage often in my own work, but Patti prefers cats with their skin firmly in place and pet-able.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

I'm not a cat lover but would never harm one.