correct words and sentences automatically AFTER they have been sent

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

correct words and sentences automatically AFTER they have been sent

Post by ChrisGreaves »

"Finally have you considered the fact that occasionally Microsoft and other similar operating platforms, correct words and sentences automatically AFTER they have been sent, to words that the author did not intend?"

Hello Peter. This interests me greatly. Might you, please and thank you, provide me with an example of any application or platform making changes to text after they have been sent? I have a professional interest in this matter, having dabbled in computing technology since 1967 and in email since 1985.
I am a happy "lurker" in <BBS forum here> and do not normally indulge in the forums, having very little experience in SR matters.
Please reply privately by email if you choose.

I have issued this PM in another BBS forum far, far away, and since the addressee is a frequent and regular poster, I anticipate a reply.

In the meantime, I wonder whether anyone in Eileen's Lounge can demonstrate any knowledge of this (to me for now) rumour.
An instance of it would be nice.

I can imagine, say, Outlook correcting errors, but only after the user chose or set an option for Outlook to do so.
I am assuming that people are not stupid enough, as I am, to write a Word/VBA envelope for emails being sent via Outlook and its like, which (envelope) post-processes the text on its way to Outlook.

Note especially "Peter"s use of the capitalized "AFTER". I shall not hold him to that, because we often slide into the bad habit of using "after" in the sense of meaning "at some time somewhere in the process".

Thanks
Chris, for once, Grieves.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: correct words and sentences automatically AFTER they have been sent

Post by Jay Freedman »

I've seen many claims in the Microsoft forum that Word has changed the words, formats, and other things between the time a document was closed and the next time it was opened. None of them have turned out to be mysterious. The formatting changes are usually caused by a setting that tells Word to apply a different template to the document on opening. Wording changes are usually caused by AutoCorrect replacements that went unnoticed because most people don't proofread their work before saving.

I do feel sorry for the people whose documents become corrupted so they can't be opened, or so they become a dog's breakfast. Sometimes (but not as often as is commonly assumed) this is not the user's fault.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 22:02
I've seen many claims in the Microsoft forum that Word has changed the words, formats, and other things between the time a document was closed and the next time it was opened.
Thank you, Jay. I have respect for Peter, and that is why I asked, as politely as I could, for a bit of evidence.
His original statement would fit nicely into an Urban Legend composed of
(i) MSWord and others suggesting strange substitutions for mis-typed words
(ii) User-choice of "Change-All" and
(iii) User too lazy to do a final proof-read before using the Send command. I speak from experience.

The phrase "Unidentified Formatting Objection" springs to mind.

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 22:02
I've seen many claims in the Microsoft forum that Word has changed the words, formats, and other things...
"meanwhile, back at the ranch ..." (not Eileen's Lounge)
The original post on the 19th is still there.
My reply/challenge for data is not.
Either my post was not approved by a moderator or
I forgot to press the Submit button.

The only other explanation must be that Microsoft and other similar operating platforms, trashed my reply after using alien AI based in Nevada to detect that I was asking for verification of a false claim. :laugh: :laugh:
Cheers
Chris