DBX Extension

Gloria E
5StarLounger

DBX Extension

Post by Gloria E »

Using Windows XP I was able to delete mail folders and they would be revived the next time OE was opened. Now that I have Windows 7 64-bit and Windows Live Mail, I want to know if the .dbx files I found be handled the same way?

I was surprised to find that the extension was still available. I checked Default Programs in Control Panel and looked at Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Then I discovered that .DBX was not included in the list. That made we wonder if the folder could be removed, therefore this post.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Leif
Administrator

Re: DBX Extension

Post by Leif »

Why do you want to remove .dbx files? Unless you understand why you are doing something - not just if you can - I would leave well alone.
Leif

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Leif wrote:Why do you want to remove .dbx files? Unless you understand why you are doing something - not just if you can - I would leave well alone.
With WinXP the folder was deleted with it's contents to keep the email client from crashing. The folder was recreated when you opened your email again. The .dbx files can get awfully full and over time I understand that it may cause problems. Please answer the question, can the folder be removed and will it be recreated?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you really want to do this, try the following:
- Quit Windows Live Mail.
- Move the .dbx to the Recycle Bin.
- Start Windows Live Mail.

If the .dbx are recreated without problems, you can empty the Recycle Bin (you may want to wait a day or two to be on the safe side).
If there are problems, you can restore the .dbx from the Recycle Bin to their original location.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have Live mail installed on 3 machines and do NOT have any "dbx" files.
Are you sure these are not the ones you brought to the Windows 7 machine to import into Live mail?

Where are you finding these dbx files, i.e., full path?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living