Gmail - Groups - Not intuitive to use?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Gmail - Groups - Not intuitive to use?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Is it me, or ...?

I’ve been using Email since 1984/85, I.P.Sharp & Associates. Then BBS systems, Internet (text based, Qmail, Thunderbird, Outlook, and now GMail.
Gmail groups seems counter-Intuitive to me.

I have created a Group from my Contacts list; I called the group “20190203” for obvious reasons.
It seems to me that I cannot address an Email (To, Cc, or Bcc) to the group.

The only way I have found to use the group (to send a Bcc to twenty people) is to go back to edit my group, use “Select All”, then Copy the selected twenty email addresses to the clipboard, and Paste the clipboard into the Bcc (or TO or Cc) box in the Compose window.

This works, but I find myself wondering why, since I have given a name to a group of people, I can’t send an email “to this group of people”

Every Email system I’ve used in the pasr 35 years has let me use the group identifier as the addressee, and expanded the set of names for me.

The second mantra I adopted in Computing was “If it’s boring or repetitive, write a program”. To my mind, having to re-open the group in edit mode, select all, copy, paste is Boring And Repetitive. And a Group is in concept, a program.

After all, I don’t ever start a thread to Hans, Rudi, PK, Stuck, Wossname Gray, ...
I just post it to “Eileen's Lounge”

(later) Now I think of it, I could just as easily set up a column in my Contacts.MDB with a qryBCCList and select the column, Copy to clipboard, and paste into the BCC box; no need to use Gmail groups at all.

(signed) “Trying to stay in touch” of Bonavista
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Gmail - Groups - Not intuitive to use?

Post by HansV »

It should work. I created a contact group named 20190203 with a few randomly selected Loungers as members.
I can enter 20190203 in the To (or Cc or Bcc) box and see a preview of the group's members:
S2522.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:It should work. I created a contact group ...
OK.
One again, it's my fault. (grin)
I'll try again next week using two randomly selected names from "Hans" and Rudi".

(signed) "Eyore" of Bonavista.

P.S. I am starting though to prefer having control over creation of a "group" by selection criteria from a database.
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:The second mantra I adopted in Computing was “If it’s boring or repetitive, write a program”.
Yeah but ...
https://xkcd.com/1319/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:Yeah but ...https://xkcd.com/1319/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers
Chris